Mormon Channel for the Roku Channel Store

Discussions on how emerging technology can assist the distribution of media content through mobile, kiosks, Internet, social networks, etc.
todrobbins

Post by todrobbins »

I agree with John. The Roku seems to be a very good backwards-compatible option for all of our meetinghouses with older TVs. I love my Roku, and was part of the beta test.
rmiller

ROKU problems

Post by rmiller »

I, and othere, have audio problems with the BYU channel on ROKU. The live stream is fine. but the audio cuts out after a couple of seconds on all the on demand. Does anyone have a solution?
JonesRC
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by JonesRC »

rmiller wrote:I, and others, have audio problems with the BYU channel on ROKU. Does anyone have a solution?
BYU is aware of the issue and is working with Roku to address the problem. It is believed that the problem was introduced with the last update. We'll try to keep you posted in this thread to developments.
JonesRC
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by JonesRC »

JohnShaw wrote:so I brought in my Roku... Within minutes I had it talking on the wireless network, and using the RCA jacks on our television to show the video.
Ease of use and setup is one of the features that make the Roku Box a very attractive solution for delivering digital media. I use it on Sunday's for my YSA class. It is good to hear stories about how people are using the device to support their teaching efforts. We are hoping our beta test of the Roku proves that theory. Thanks for sharing that story.
JonesRC
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by JonesRC »

JohnShaw wrote:The one thing that would make the Roku devices pure perfection, is if a channel were to be created to accept the stake-initiated broadcasts.....
Great idea and one we are working on. In fact we have it working. You can manually add the URL on the box and receive the stream. In terms of a VOD stream the format is pretty straight forward. A live stream is a little different with the way it is delivered but we are looking into ways we can delivery that as well.
JonesRC
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by JonesRC »

rmiller wrote:I, and othere, have audio problems with the BYU channel
I followed up with BYUtv and received the following:

"Roku has acknowledged an issue with the Roku 2 and HLS video. There is literally nothing we can do to fix it on our end except wait for Roku to address the issue via a firmware update. I know the issue is affecting several apps in addition to ours."
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

JonesRC wrote:Great idea and one we are working on. In fact we have it working. You can manually add the URL on the box and receive the stream. In terms of a VOD stream the format is pretty straight forward. A live stream is a little different with the way it is delivered but we are looking into ways we can delivery that as well.
How do I manually add the URL on the box? I'd like to test our the test feeds
JonesRC
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by JonesRC »

JohnShaw wrote:How do I manually add the URL on the box? I'd like to test our the test feeds
John. We have it working but have not implemented to date. Roku is very selective about the type of LIVE feed it will take from the devices we currently support so we are looking at options. We will be sure to put the word out of its availability if and when we make it a feature on this device. Thank you asking.
JeffTurgeon

Roku Buffering and Why I prefer the older Roku XR model

Post by JeffTurgeon »

The one thing I like about the Roku, over many other video streaming methods, is the fact that the Roku uses a buffer and adjusts the picture quality based on the network connection speed detected. The buffering avoids the freezing and jumping video feeds we've all seen at one time.

I've been picking up some of the older Roku XR units for testing with Conference feeds. The reason I've been using the older units is because I prefer the varied output options on the XR model (HDMI, composite, S-video, component, optical) in comparison to the 2 options (HDMI, composite) on the newer Roku2 line. Only the top of-the-line Roku2 has the option for a hardwired ethernet connection.

Hardwired always beats wireless in speed and reliability.
FasnachtJ

ROKU at a Visitor's Center

Post by FasnachtJ »

Would the ROKU be able to stream BYU TV through a multimedia projector? We have a theater at Historic Kirtland and the missionaries would like to watch conference when there are no tours. I envision an ethernet cable into the ROKU. What cable options are there for the output? Than you.

Return to “Digital Media”