Mormon Channel for the Roku Channel Store

Discussions on how emerging technology can assist the distribution of media content through mobile, kiosks, Internet, social networks, etc.
JonesRC
Church Employee
Church Employee

Roku/Live Streaming/ASL

Post by JonesRC »

jjamminjim wrote:Their challenge to me is to figure out how to stream conference and other live broadcasts to my stake center. I see in this thread that the Roku Mormon Channel does stream conference in english. My task is to also stream in ASL.
We currently stream five languages on Mormon Channel for Live Events: English, ASL, Spanish, Portuguese, and French. We are testing a live channel on the Roku that streams 16 languages. As long as you have the appropriate bandwidth in your facility you can stream ASL.

We have also been doing some testing on streaming local live events by having the ability to enter in your generated URL into the Roku Box. We have been successful in getting this to work on Roku and are working and discussing possible options with the IT team.
jjamminjim

Post by jjamminjim »

JonesRC wrote:We currently stream five languages on Mormon Channel for Live Events: English, ASL, Spanish, Portuguese, and French. We are testing a live channel on the Roku that streams 16 languages. As long as you have the appropriate bandwidth in your facility you can stream ASL.
That is great news! My stake center's satellite system is broken and I am trying to implement, test and verify a solution that allows me to stream all church broadcasts, english and asl, via roku.

I assume that this excludes general conference priesthood streaming. Is there a way to securely stream priesthood to the roku?

For the last general conference I had to obtain a password throughout my stake president for the priesthood session. I also was able to secure a direct link to the stream through my stake president. Would a direct link obtained via my stake president allow me to stream priesthood to the roku?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jjamminjim wrote:My stake center's satellite system is broken

Feel free to start a new thread on that, but ultimately that's the FM group's responsibility to fix. You may want to have the stake president lean on them.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jjamminjim

Post by jjamminjim »

RussellHltn wrote:Feel free to start a new thread on that, but ultimately that's the FM group's responsibility to fix.
THank you for the reply. I have the FM group working on it now. They have been since before the last conference (and I have had to stream every broadcast)i.

In the mean time, I have this Roku assignment. It looks very promising. I have all the information that I need to continue with the Roku, except the general priesthood conference stream. Is it possible to do now, or probable in the near future?
KenRichins

Post by KenRichins »

last conference we had Priesthood session streamed. the URL was sent to the Stake President, as
STS the would not send it to me, only Stake President. He gave to me and we streamed through the Stake computer and displayed on the Screen in the Stake Center. So, it is possible but you need to get the URL EARLY as it is only sent to Stake President's LDS e-mail account.
jjamminjim

Post by jjamminjim »

KenRichins wrote:last conference we had Priesthood session streamed. the URL was sent to the Stake President.

That was my experience with the last General Conference Priesthood session as well. I received both an English and an ASL URL through my Stake President, and streamed them through laptops.

Using the ROKU as a complete solution is the goal (including General Conference Priesthood sessions and Stake Conference broadcasts from Church Headquarters), thus removing the need for computers. I wonder if the "ability to enter in a generated URL into the Roku Box", that is being tested as mentioned above by JonesRC, will work for these General Conference Priesthood URLs.
SheffieldTR
Community Moderators

Post by SheffieldTR »

I don't know if the priesthood URL will work on Roku but the email address that a stake presidency member needs to send in their request to is streamingsupport@ldschurch.org. Once they are verified in CDOL then the URL will be sent to them. How it is distributed after that is the stake presidents responsibility.
Troy
ads26andrew

Post by ads26andrew »

I am having a hard time deciding between Roku and Sony. I was a diehard Roku fan, but Sony Blu-rays have the build in Sony Entertainment Network which is powered by Google tv I am told and it seems to be a strong set up with Blu-ray player. Can anyone tell me if BYU and the Mormon channel stream on Sony Network?
pmona

How to log into BYUTV with boxee

Post by pmona »

circa1978-p40 wrote: I have Boxee and have developed an unofficial Mormon Channel which I have posted on my own repository (http://apptree.me/dir). For now I was planning to polish of a few last changes and add it to main Boxee App directory as an "Unofficial Mormon Channel" so that more people can use it. I'd be glad to hand it over and make it Official as well. I'd also be happy to share the design with any one who wants to get started on any other platform. I am not likely to jump into the development on Roku as I'm in Canada and we don't have them. But I'd be glad to help where I can with design/UI/IA.

Is it possible to log in and watch live tv using your app? I am using Boxee software, not a box and am able to load the Mormon Channel and select Watch Live but I am not able to log in once that loads.

Any help is very much appreciated,

Paul
JeffTurgeon

Post by JeffTurgeon »

I've worked on the Beta Testing team for the Roku device. We streamed General Conference as well as the encrypted Priesthood sessions using our secured and authorized Roku boxes. Roku performed well using these live broadcasts and the equipment needed to use it was: Roku box, Projector, and the crab (to tie into PA through a microphone jack).

I also streamed pre-recorded video for use in Seminary classes or general Sunday School classes using wireless connections throughout my test locations without incident. Picture for pre-recorded items streamed wireless and even worked with 70% signal strength with crystal clear pictures and audio. I'm now a fan of using Roku for church content and hope to eventually be able to stream all church videos through an archived digital library instead of the old fashioned VHS or DVDs.

Return to “Digital Media”