Amazon Echo - General Conference Audio Library?

Use this forum to share and discuss ideas that do not fall into a specific audiovisual media type.
thattolleyguy

Re: Amazon Echo - General Conference Audio Library?

Post by thattolleyguy »

Are the Bruce Lindsay recordings the ones the church produced? That's what I'm hoping to get working. I have a demo app that will do it but I have to pay to host the files myself and I'm not sure I want to do that long term. I'm also planning on supporting general conference talks. I just need to figure out the right interface for searching them.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Yes, Bruce Lindsay was a KSL anchor who, I guess, also happens to be the male voice on the Book of Mormon recordings. Fun trivia! :) Unfortunately, those aren't divided out by verse, so you'd need to record the start/stop positions of each verse to have only one verse played as ldssmudge suggests!
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
steckdev

Post by steckdev »

ldssmudge wrote:There is a "The Scriptures" skill someone put out early that uses the Alexa voice to do the text-to-voice thing for a chapter, or even a single verse. It works pretty well (as does just having her read the Book of Mormon from my Kindle library) - but the pronunciations are a bit off (Nefi instead of Nephi, etc.). It would be interesting if you could get the Bruce Lindsay readings verse-by-verse to work. Say, "Alexa, read 3rd Nephi 11 verse 8", and you get Bruce Lindsay's voice reading just that verse.

I was more looking for General Conference talks to work so I could listen to past talks while working around the house. Or they would be good for putting you to sleep as well. :)
That is my skill! :) I am going to create a post on it but I would love to expand it to do other talks and do streaming with it now that they have expanded the robustness of the API. I also want to expand it to do BYU Speeches. I plan to do it with the link created below. If anyone is interested please shoot me a message or respond to the other topic which I will reference once i have created it.

*** https://tech.lds.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=96&t=25655 ***

https://developer.amazon.com/public/com ... exa-Skills
ldssmudge

Post by ldssmudge »

stechdev, yours is "Gospel Library Reader", I've used "The Scriptures" by Spriton Systems LLC. Either way though... I'd love to be able to listen to General Conference talks, no matter who develops it.
kylefin

Post by kylefin »

I got a Google Home recently, and this feature would be awesome there too! They're not releasing any of the SDKs etc until next month, but I'm starting to play with the idea.

thattolleyguy, I'd be interested to see what you've written and see if I can contribute.
Oliver84

Post by Oliver84 »

haha, I was just about to start this project. No sense in duplicating work. If someone here has already started, please let me know. If not, I will continue making this for the Google Home. Thanks!
thattolleyguy

Post by thattolleyguy »

Oliver84 wrote:haha, I was just about to start this project. No sense in duplicating work. If someone here has already started, please let me know. If not, I will continue making this for the Google Home. Thanks!
I started looking into a google home implementation as well. So far I don't see any api for streaming audio files of arbitrary length. SSML allows you to select a file up to 90 seconds, but that's not really long enough for this purpose. If you find the API, I imagine we could set up a service that could support both Alexa and Google Home.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

thattolleyguy wrote:I started looking into a google home implementation as well. So far I don't see any api for streaming audio files of arbitrary length. SSML allows you to select a file up to 90 seconds, but that's not really long enough for this purpose.
I know it will play songs from the Google play store, so there must be something. I guess the question is if it's been made into an API or is it strictly an internal one at this point.

Hmmm, I wonder how hard it would be to get the content added to iTunes and Google Play Store.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
thattolleyguy

Post by thattolleyguy »

russellhltn wrote:
thattolleyguy wrote:I started looking into a google home implementation as well. So far I don't see any api for streaming audio files of arbitrary length. SSML allows you to select a file up to 90 seconds, but that's not really long enough for this purpose.
I know it will play songs from the Google play store, so there must be something. I guess the question is if it's been made into an API or is it strictly an internal one at this point.
Yeah. If you look into the API there is a public API for conversation actions and a private API for direct actions. You can apply to be a beta tester for the direct actions api (which is the one that supports playing music). I've applied and just waiting to hear back. https://developers.google.com/actions/d ... nversation
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

russellhltn wrote:Hmmm, I wonder how hard it would be to get the content added to iTunes and Google Play Store.
General Conference is in iTunes as a podcast – would that work?
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “General Media Discussions”