WiFi down again

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
johnshaw

Re: WiFi down again

Post by johnshaw »

lajackson,

That is a great question you ask. What is the purpose of the recorded message. That the incident of 1/6/13 has been resolved, or that the incident that happened on both 12/30/2012 and 1/6/2013 have been resolved? What about the Root Cause? If it hasn't been addressed then next week we expect to see a repeat of the incident right?

Does the message mean we need to all proactively cycle our 881W (which will cycle all the 1041 WAP as well) throughout the entire church, or is it meant as instructions for a future incident?

Will there be another incident on 1/13/2013?

Are STS supposed to make a practice of calling the GSD on a regular basis to get incident information?
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

I received an Email in response to my original feedback regarding the WiFi failure on Sunday 1/6.
The problem is fixed for now. We are currently working on a long-term solution.
The responder didn't elaborate, but I have requested additional information. I'll post what I get.
gbekmezian

Post by gbekmezian »

Hello tech community. I would like to begin by expressing my most sincere apology for the frustration the wireless connectivity issues in meeting houses has caused many of you. We are working very hard to understand the cause of the service interruptions and hope to prevent any widespread interruptions in the future. I have a request from the community as part of our effort to understand the scope of the incident from this past Sunday as well as trying to isolate the cause of the issues.

If your stake and/or ward experienced an outage this past Sunday and you DID NOT power cycle your wireless access points, I would like to know about it. Since the automatic response is always "reboot" there isn't much data available to us for root cause analysis. We are also still trying to understand the scope of the service interruption. Your cooperation and patience is greatly appreciated!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

gbekmezian wrote:If your stake and/or ward experienced an outage this past Sunday and you DID NOT power cycle your wireless access points, I would like to know about it.
Serial # FTX152201JK

I did experience an outage when my phone couldn't connect. I did not reset it. Note this is the WiFi that's from the 881W itself, not from a AP (which is currently not connected).
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
michaelfish

Post by michaelfish »

If your stake and/or ward experienced an outage this past Sunday and you DID NOT power cycle your wireless access points, I would like to know about it.
On 6 Jan '13, all three buidings in our stake experience Wifi problems but the equipement in the Ray/Lindsay building was not rebooted:

Gilbert Greenfield Stake 507776
Building 5247179-01
Firewall Model 881W
S/N: FTX154986EA

Mike (STS)
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

If your stake and/or ward experienced an outage this past Sunday and you DID NOT power cycle your wireless access points, I would like to know about it.
In my stake we also did not power cycle the 881W.

In one building we have a new 881W (S/N FTX160986BR) with 1041n access points, where we did experience significant problems with wireless connections on both December 30 and Jan 6. On Jan 6, at about 1:30pm MST, the problem seemed to resolve itself, and people started being able to obtain and keep a wireless connection. Throughout all of these problems, the wired connections were just fine.

In that building we have over 200 available dynamic IP addresses. I have no way of knowing if that pool of addresses was used up (we STS's would dearly love to have a way to find that information at any point), I would think that running out of IP addresses was unlikely to be the problem given the large pool available. But I might be surprised -- there are a lot of phones and tablets and a few laptops out there for three wards in the building.

In our other buildings we do have 881W firewalls (S/N FTX160986C4 and FTX160986A4), but we had no problems at all. The significant difference in those buildings is that they have older Aironet 1200 series WAPs, rather than the newer 1041n WAPs.
rolandc

Post by rolandc »

Guys if you have an android based smart phone, download an app called FING, it will show what IP's are currently in use and some history. its a great app and has some other functions too. You do have to be connected to the same network. Give it a try its free.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

aebrown wrote:In that building we have over 200 available dynamic IP addresses. I have no way of knowing if that pool of addresses was used up (we STS's would dearly love to have a way to find that information at any point), I would think that running out of IP addresses was unlikely to be the problem given the large pool available. But I might be surprised -- there are a lot of phones and tablets and a few laptops out there for three wards in the building.
I changed all wired computers in the stake center to use static IPs, so all those mobile devices can fight each other for the dynamic pool, and I don't get calls from bishoprics who can't do a send/receive.

It is interesting to see how many wards only turn on their admin computer just long enough to do the donation batch, and then power it off.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
rwardell

Post by rwardell »

#FTX1611855U We have an 881W with 3 other access points. The clerk computers that are hard wired but do not have static IP addresses worked fine through out the day, Even though wireless devices were either bumped off or could not connect at all.
On the 30th of December users were just bumped off like when the lease was up and wasn't renewed. This last week users were not able to connect at all. I did not have a utility installed to see how many computers were connected to the network but will provide that info in the future if need be.
gbekmezian

Post by gbekmezian »

rwardell wrote:#FTX1611855U We have an 881W with 3 other access points.
Thanks, but your devices have been rebooted so it's not possible to get historical information. Your 881W's uptime is currently 1 day, 22 hours, 36 minutes.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”