Can't download Come Follow Me video zip files

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
craiggsmith

Can't download Come Follow Me video zip files

Post by craiggsmith »

Both yesterday and today I tried to download the Come Follow Me videos via the zip files and it just sits there and says it has hours to go. It's not my connection. I assume the server is just overloaded?
craiggsmith

Re: Can't download Come Follow Me video zip files

Post by craiggsmith »

Looks like it's not hung but just really slow (at least for such a large file). I think it would work better if they split it up into single lesson files.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

craiggsmith wrote:Looks like it's not hung but just really slow (at least for such a large file). I think it would work better if they split it up into single lesson files.
Most of the videos can already be downloaded individually. The point of the big .zip files was the convenience of doing one download. Sure, it will take a long time to download (depending on the speed of your Internet connection), but I'd much rather have one lengthy download than dozens of quick ones.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

I am trying to create a DVD and it would be a lot easier to download them in one shot. But the limiting factor is not the speed of my internet connection but rather the speed of the server (typically around 200 kbps). For the 1.2G files that would take 100 minutes (right?), which I think is a bit long. But my browser was displaying times up to 20 hours due to server pauses.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

There is something very wrong. This morning I tried downloading around 6am and I'm sitting behind a VERY large pipe, I routinely download 2-5 GB sized iso images in minutes... I had the same issues, and just gave up after about 1 hour and it had progressed about 1/2 way. I don't really need the files, I was just testing.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
russelljd

Post by russelljd »

One trick that will probably help here is that any time you see a http://broadcast.lds.org link you can change the host to http://broadcast2.lds.org and you'll generally see much better performance. The difference is that broadcast.lds.org is serving the content from a server in the church data center and broadcast2 will serve the content through the church's CDN partner.
russelljd

Post by russelljd »

I should also add that we're working with the LDS.org publishing team to get the links changed on the actual site but in the meantime you can just change it yourself as a workaround.

Return to “Main Church Website”