"An Error Occurred =(" when trying to access member records

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
tyler4550

"An Error Occurred =(" when trying to access member records

Post by tyler4550 »

Hello All -

We are on the latest and greatest version (3.5.1 I believe) of MLS. When we try to access any member record we get a message that says, "An Error Occurred". We can successfully send and receive, backups appear to be normal . . . just can't access individual records. Anybody else seen this and successfully fixed it? Thanks in advance.

Tyler
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: "An Error Occurred =(" when trying to access member rec

Post by jdlessley »

What corrective action(s) have you tried, if any?

Have you backed up the data and then restored from the backup? This resets the database indexes.

Another corrective action is to download the MLS installer from the RKATS download page and install MLS on top of the current installation. This will resolve any incomplete download or install of an update.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
tyler4550

Post by tyler4550 »

Hey JD -

Thanks for the reply. I did a restore of the most recent backup - same problem. I downloaded the newest MLS build (full install, not update) and installed it - same problem. I used Windows Add / Remove Programs to uninstall MLS and used the installer again to re-install. Same problem. One thing I noticed . . . on the login screen the username field still pre-populates prior users which leads me to believe I'm missing a cache file or preference file somewhere. Maybe it could be corrupt and causing the problem. I figured I would open it to a clean slate after install and have to restore from a backup but it's like I never removed it.

Any other suggestions? Was hoping not to have to wait until Monday when the service center opens. . . . Thanks

Tyler
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

There is a unit data folder that is not deleted when MLS is uninstalled. In Windows 7 the folder path is "C:\ProgramData\LDS Church\MLS\data\units". The C:\ProgramData folder is a hidden folder. In Windows XP the folder path is "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\LDS Church\MLS\data\units".

The backup may contain the same error and is just restoring the problem. I doubt that uninstalling MLS, deleting the orphaned folders and files, reinstalling again, and restoring from backup will result in any changes. It sounds like the database needs to be looked at by tech support technicians. Call LUS and ask to have the database examined.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
tyler4550

Post by tyler4550 »

Thanks JD -

Ya - figured that was the case. I took the LDS Church and databackup folders and renamed them - then uninstalled again and re-installed. My thinking here was that maybe the installer searched the drive for those folders and linked them up. Got the same result though. Thought about looking for the folder you pointed out but ultimately decided I would be better off waiting until Monday and talking with someone. I agree with you and think it's something in the database. I also tried restoring an old file that I knew was good and still got the same result . . .

Thanks again for trying but I think I need to admit I'm stuck.

Tyler
tyler4550

Post by tyler4550 »

Quick update - spent about 90min with support today before they decided to escalate it to tier 2. I'll post again when they have a fix.

Tyler
tyler4550

Post by tyler4550 »

Well - I wanted to post what the fix was for anyone else who may be experiencing this issue but I went in on Sunday and it was magically fixed. No call from support or anything but it must have been something on their end.

Tyler

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”