Disciplinary Action and Send/Receive

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
benjamincarleski

Disciplinary Action and Send/Receive

Post by benjamincarleski »

I am an Assistant Clerk in my ward, and recently did a send/receive. There were a number of membership updates, and among them was a record of disciplinary action. Having not been privy to the fact that there had even been a council, it was quite a surprise to see. My understanding was that except for the member, the Bishop, his counselors, and the ward clerk, noone should even know that a disciplinary council had even been convened.

I found here (http://tech.lds.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5922) that these reports can come even when an update is done by an organizational secretary. My question to the group is what measures, if any, has your ward taken to prevent people who shouldn't be seeing these updates from doing so?
genman

Re: Disciplinary Action and Send/Receive

Post by genman »

That's an excellent question. For that matter, any membership record is confidential information that should only ever be seen by the Clerk or the Bishop. Not even the member themselves are to have a copy of their membership record. When someone with membership access rights in MLS goes to print out a membership record, a warning message comes up that this should only be done for the Bishop or the Clerk. In other words, there's all kinds of controls. However, when a new record is received in MLS, they are automatically printed by default. That means that not just anyone with access to MLS should be executing the Send/Receive function; only someone who has membership or financial responsibility. And if something is printed as a result and you don't have a need to know, then just read far enough to see which in-box to put it in.

Having said that, I've never seen a record of disciplinary action show up after a Send/Receive. I'm kind of surprised. If that was due to the Ward Clerk entering something in MLS after a disciplinary council, then the Ward Clerk should have pressed Send/Receive immediately after entering it. That would solve your particular issue.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

One thing to check here is to make sure your organizations only have organization rights in MLS. When I called as a clerk in my ward I found that all the organizations also had membership rights as well which allowed the access to information they should not have.

In fact last year my bishop wanted to give the membership records to the auxiliary leaders for new move in's. When I pointed out to him that this was not proper he first remark was when he was HP group leader he was able to just see it in MLS. I explained to him the organizations had improper rights and that's why he could. He had just assumed that was the way it was suppose to be.

So check the rights in the system and make sure the organizations only have organization rights.
genman

Post by genman »

Gary_Miller wrote:One thing to check here is to make sure your organizations only have organization rights in MLS.
Good point. There are separate MLS rights for "membership view" and "membership edit". The Ward Clerk and the Membership Clerk should have membership edit rights. Other than the Bishopric, Clerks, Exec Sec, and the Stake support person, nobody else should have membership view rights.
Gary_Miller wrote:last year my bishop wanted to give the membership records to the auxiliary leaders for new move in's.
This may mostly be a terminology misunderstanding. The "membership record" is a very specific printout, to be used by the Bishop and Ward Clerk only. But there is the "Individual Ordinance Summary" (or IOS), which looks very similar to the format of the membership record, but with slightly less information. What the bishop really meant would have been satisfied by giving the IOS to auxiliary leaders for new move in's. He just didn't use the right terminology. So you can still honor the intent of the Bishop's request using an IOS.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

genman wrote:This may mostly be a terminology misunderstanding. The "membership record" is a very specific printout, to be used by the Bishop and Ward Clerk only. But there is the "Individual Ordinance Summary" (or IOS), which looks very similar to the format of the membership record, but with slightly less information. What the bishop really meant would have been satisfied by giving the IOS to auxiliary leaders for new move in's. He just didn't use the right terminology. So you can still honor the intent of the Bishop's request using an IOS.
Permission to view the IOS is limited to the member named on the record, the bishop, the ward clerk/membership clerk, and the parent(s)/legal guardian(s) of a minor. The IOS should not be distributed to auxiliary leaders. See Handbook 1: Stake Presidents and Bishops [2010], 13.6.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

Gary_Miller wrote:last year my bishop wanted to give the membership records to the auxiliary leaders for new move in's.
Why not just give them the member move in report? That should give them what they need to get to know the new members of the ward.
genman

Post by genman »

jdlessley wrote:Permission to view the IOS is limited to the member named on the record, the bishop, the ward clerk/membership clerk, and the parent(s)/legal guardian(s) of a minor. The IOS should not be distributed to auxiliary leaders. See Handbook 1: Stake Presidents and Bishops [2010], 13.6.
Ok, I stand corrected. To honor the request of the Bishop, could send the auxiliary presidents a .pdf document from the "Members Moved In" report via Clerk Services at LDS.org, assuming that is allowed. Probably need to uncheck the "Show Age" checkbox.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

JonesRK wrote:
Why not just give them the member move in report? That should give them what they need to get to know the new members of the ward.
That's what we ended up doing once I understood what it was the bishop was wanting to do.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”