Book of Mormon app pass-along cards

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
wrigjef

Book of Mormon app pass-along cards

Post by wrigjef »

I'm looking for some pass-along cards that mention the missionary BOM app. Something I can pass to friends with e-devices perhaps something with a QR code. When I check the normal pass-along page at the Dc site, all that is displayed are the cards that offer a free BOM for calling a phone number. Can anyone help direct me to the right place to get some of these?
JamesAnderson

Re: Book of Mormon app pass-along cards

Post by JamesAnderson »

Haven't seen or heard of any yet, I've done my own for various Church videos using the first versions of the 'I'm a Mormon' card (the current one that has a pre-printed QR code does not have enough room for the stickers they make now for QR codes, the Avery 22805's.)

I simply make stickers, then put them on the blank part of the back of those first I'm a Mormon cards, and the best way is to find a general URL so it would not matter who scanned with what it would go to the right app store location for the particular device scanning it.

I saw some in-house cards for Mormon Channel also, and that is another one where pass-along cards would be useful, with a QR code to either get the app or to listen to any of the streams.

I've heard there may also be a way to display a QR code on a device, and someone else with a smartphone or other device that could scan and display or download content could then scan the QR code on your device's screen, and have it download the app or open whatever. Not quite sure how to do that although you could create a series of PDFs, put them in a 'book' and put that on the 'bookshelf' where you would keep PDFs at, then open the file up when you wanted to share the app or the Mormon Channel.
wrigjef

Post by wrigjef »

I really thought the church had already put something out, perhaps I will just make my own
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

One of the recent Ensigns had a bunch in the centerfold that included the QR codes.
wrigjef

Post by wrigjef »

Thanks, I'll browse the online versions and see if there is something I can print out or send to vista print or something. Still absolutely shocked that there is nothing available at the dc
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

lajackson wrote:One of the recent Ensigns had a bunch in the centerfold that included the QR codes.
October 2012. And they are in the online pdf version at the very end of the file.
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

Those QR codes only went to the mormon.org page about the Book of Mormon. The app was not completely ready for the app stores even until just after those appeared.

The cards are also available in boxes of 500 through the Online Store. 125 of them specifically go to the noted Book of Mormon page.
wrigjef

Post by wrigjef »

I'm sorry maybe I'm looking in the wrong places or just having a bad day or something. I don't see the referenced card in the online store. The PDF would be great but I can't find it either. From what I can see the oct 2012 Ensign is not just one file but several and none that look like they might contain a pass-along card. If you could provide a link, I would really appreciate it.
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

Here's the store.lds.org link to the cards. 125 of the 500 cards in the box link to the Book of Mormon page on mormon.org.

http://store.lds.org/webapp/wcs/stores/ ... 5616901725

Hard to find the magazine PDF on lds.org, so I went to a well-known blog site that linked to the part of the magazine that had the cards. However, it's only a .jpg file and not a PDF.

http://ldsmediatalk.com/2012/10/09/morm ... ong-cards/
wrigjef

Post by wrigjef »

Thank you so much. I still have issues but I appreciate the help.

First, personally even though I have a profile on mormon.org
http://mormon.org/me/2H20/JeffWright
, I've never been extremely fond of the fact that the church chose to use such an over used name as an investigator website. Let's just say that I have had a few very productive conversations with non-members when they have mentioned that fact that I'm Mormon or asked if I'm Mormon and my reply has been "I'm not Mormon but I have some of the same beliefs that he has." Conversations have gone on the explain who Mormon was, what he did and what we believe.

Next this card is not what I had in mind. I'll give an example. Last week I was waiting for my regular commuter bus and a person I have never talked to mentioned that he had seen me reading the bible on the bus. I responded that it was actually the Book of Mormon and started a conversation. I noticed that he was always using an i-phone or i-pad on the bus and it would have been nice if I could have offered him a card inviting him to download and read the Book of Mormon via his device. Something that did not necessarily require someone to call an 800 number in order to get a free copy, but that he could do on his own. Something with the full name of the church and the correct name of the app (available at the app store), perhaps a web address for a launch page in the event his device needed the android or other version (I still think there should be a direct link to this apps launch page from the main lds.org page (as opposed to hoping people can navigate to lds.org/mobile apps and scroll down) perhaps something with a QR code to the launch page.

Maybe someday it will happen. This just seems like an incredible advancement in the way members can give the Book or Mormon to friends as well as what could be the preferred way for an investigator to read a copy since they can initiate it on their own.

Return to “General Discussions”