Any efforts for Windows 8 applications?

Discussions around Mobile Development
cgreen3

Re: Any efforts for Windows 8 applications?

Post by cgreen3 »

I am also a developer and willing to contribute to a project for this. seems like if the church wants to be slow about this then a lot of indie developers will go ahead and develop their own apps. There is a benefit getting to an OS like Windows first.

I would love to see a Windows 8 app. I hope to see official information soon.
Eric84

Post by Eric84 »

Does anyone have any actual information about the internal IT department for the church working on this? Someone posted that they had heard this but it would be nice to get some verification. It seems like we have a lot of willing developers that are holding off because the church IT department is building an app. It would be a shame if that was just a rumor that someone started, thus setting back any volunteer development.

I asked a guy in my ward who is a developer for the church with family search and he hadn't heard of anything but it could just be that he is in a different department or something.
toddthomas1

Post by toddthomas1 »

In an effort to try and answer the question of whether or not the church is working on Windows 8 apps, today I asked two friends that work for the church IT department. One is an employee for church IT and he said he is not aware of any active project right now working on windows 8 apps. My other friend, a contractor who works on church IT projects, is also not aware of any Windows 8 projects going on right now. Also, looking at the 50+ current projects listed on this site it does not appear windows 8 is even being looked at. Uuhhgg! This is a bit surprising thought I know windows 8 is still relatively new. For all you developers wanting and willing to get this moving I wish there were something that could be done to break ground on this rather than all of us just posting an update every week. My Surface is hungry for the gospel library app, lds tools, and Mormon channel app!!!
craigktreasure

Post by craigktreasure »

I have started on a Gospel Library (will not use that name of course) app for Windows 8, but it's going to take some time.
dkmortensen

Post by dkmortensen »

Margins really is a good app. But it lacks integration with the lds.org study notebook & you can highlight individual phrases from verses. Also I think you can't annotate individual verses. These & more are the features that the Gospel Library app should have (or anything that is created to fill the gap). Until these features exist, I will continue to feel like Windows 8/RT are not being given full credence in the lds app world.
craigktreasure

Post by craigktreasure »

According to the church's documentation, nobody else is allowed to use the lds.org account unless you're an officially sanctioned app. That doesn't mean that it's not possible to create an app that can sync those types of things using another account though. We just wouldn't be able to bring in all of your previous notes, bookmarks, etc.
dkmortensen

Post by dkmortensen »

Good to know. I would rather have it use the lds.org study notebook than have a competing service. I guess maybe its time to join their 9am IRC chat & see if we can find out what's really going on there.
douggarding

Post by douggarding »

I just got my Surface RT yesterday, and would LOVE to have some official LDS apps to go along with it. Just thought I'd add my name to the ever growing list of others who want one. Looks like I'm going to have to wait many months (or even years) to get one... :(
RonDarling

Post by RonDarling »

Suggestions for making the wheel squeaky?
dkmortensen

Post by dkmortensen »

Probably a registry where church members could sign a request. It maybe even better would just be to start getting all Windows 8 church members we know to come to this thread & let their voices be heard right inside the church's tech forum. The thing is, if I setup a web page where member could add their names to a request list, then I can have a SQL query on the page automatically display a tally of the total # of members requesting it. I don't know whether these forums will give a simple statistic like that. I don't think it would take long to get at least 1,000 members on the list.

Return to “Mobile Development”