Beta Directory recommendations

Beta testing of the Local Unit Directory Application
Brewer.D

Beta Directory recommendations

Post by Brewer.D »

I noticed the previews of the beta showed that each piece of information had it's own combo box to choose privacy settings. I think those privacy settings--not the information--needs to be seen by the leaders and administrators. As a member with default settings, I'd also like to know if I shouldn't be giving out information to other ward members after receiving that information from a leader.

We have a lot of old-school people in our ward, so our RS has always printed a directory. If a leader prints the directory, it will include everything she has permissions to see--even if the member has asked that only the top leaders should see it. I think that is a very big problem for members that really don't want their information given to the whole ward.

One other point is that I am the ward newsletter editor. The RS President gives me a list of birthdays printed from the MLS for me to put in the newsletter. A former RS President marked one off and said not to publish that one. We have a new presidency, so I could be publishing information without knowing it shouldn't be published. The Young Women and Primary also send me birthday information for the children/youth and the leaders/teachers.

We have very few people that know anything about their lds accounts. Every month I hunt down the right person for information about events. The callings aren't updated uniformly. Sometimes, especially with custom callings both the released person and newly called person are listed as having that calling but with the calling title worded slightly differently. Many times the person who posted an event on the calendar is no longer in that calling, or a tech-savy person posted it on behalf of a computer-illiterate leader. Frequently, the event has been cancelled or changed, but the person in charge of it didn't even know the event had been posted to the calendar.

Note: Before I logged into my account, I posted on the site https://tech.lds.org/blog/554-directory ... ta-testing and I'm unable to delete it. I believe this is the more appropriate thread.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: Beta Directory recommendations

Post by jdlessley »

[Moderator note: This thread was split from the Directory 2013 Beta has been delayed announcement topic thread because they are different topics. Please follow the Code of Conduct and "[d]o not start a new topic in an existing thread; instead start a new thread."]
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: Beta Directory recommendations

Post by jdlessley »

DeannaMBrewer wrote:I noticed the previews of the beta showed that each piece of information had it's own combo box to choose privacy settings. I think those privacy settings--not the information--needs to be seen by the leaders and administrators.
The visibility settings for every household, to include individual data visibility, are viewable and editable by administrators. The visibility settings for a household are also visible and editable by the adult members of that household. Ward leaders who are not administrators, like any other member of a ward, cannot view or edit the visibility settings of any household but their own.
DeannaMBrewer wrote:As a member with default settings, I'd also like to know if I shouldn't be giving out information to other ward members after receiving that information from a leader.
I am guessing that you have a calling that gives you administrator rights. Perhaps you are a website administrator. As such you have access to edit profile information. Part of that profile information includes visibility settings. Administrators have access to print and export information not available to any other ward member who is not an administrator. Note that only a few ward leaders have administrator rights (bishopric, exec secretary, clerk, assistant clerks, and ward website admin). Other ward leaders to not see or have access to visibility settings outside their own household.

The information you have access to as an administrator and not available to other ward members should not be distributed to other ward members without the bishop giving you specific instructions to do so. I doubt he would give instructions to distribute household or personal information members have set to a restricted visibility setting to the ward membership. If he did give instructions to give limited visibility setting information, it would most likely be only to specific organization leaders or maybe specific home teachers.
DeannaMBrewer wrote:We have a lot of old-school people in our ward, so our RS has always printed a directory. If a leader prints the directory, it will include everything she has permissions to see--even if the member has asked that only the top leaders should see it.
If the RS president is printing a directory from the online directory then no restricted information is available to her to include in that directory. She has no more access to restricted visibility information that any other member of the ward. The visibility setting "Private - Leadership Only" means only administrators can see the information. "Leadership" in this definition does not include organization leaders.
DeannaMBrewer wrote:One other point is that I am the ward newsletter editor. The RS President gives me a list of birthdays printed from the MLS for me to put in the newsletter.
[Moderator note: This is a different topic and should be discussed in another forum such as "MLS Support, Help, and Feedback". Users wishing to respond to this issue should either start another thread or post in a thread discussing this topic.]
DeannaMBrewer wrote:We have very few people that know anything about their lds accounts. Every month I hunt down the right person for information about events. The callings aren't updated uniformly. Sometimes, especially with custom callings both the released person and newly called person are listed as having that calling but with the calling title worded slightly differently. Many times the person who posted an event on the calendar is no longer in that calling, or a tech-savy person posted it on behalf of a computer-illiterate leader. Frequently, the event has been cancelled or changed, but the person in charge of it didn't even know the event had been posted to the calendar.
[Moderator note: There are several different topics addressed here and should be discussed in other forums. Users wishing to respond to these issues should either start another thread appropriate for the topic or post in a thread discussing the topic.]
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Beta Directory”