Selecting text in the Wiki

Ask questions and discuss topics of interest related to the FamilySearch wiki found at http://wiki.familysearch.org.

Moderator: ForbesMM

Thomas_Lerman

Selecting text in the Wiki

Post by Thomas_Lerman »

Are other experiencing this problem with the Research Wiki? I have not been able to see this problem in Wikipedia. It would seem like the browser is getting very mixed up where text is being selected. It seems that at least one section heading must exist above the mouse to reproduce this problem.

For my examples, I will use:
https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/The_Vi ... earch_Wiki
  1. Select any text above the table of contents (TOC) without any problem.
  2. Select any text below the TOC and you see all sorts of strange behavior. Sometimes:
    1. You are selecting text elsewhere (like in the TOC).
    2. You are selecting text starting where the mouse is and ending up in the TOC.
    3. You are selecting text from the mouse toward the end.
    4. You are selecting text somewhere else (not visible).
    5. Moving the mouse causes the selection to change back and forth (like between #2 & #3).

I have noticed this quite a bit and have not really seen much consistency. However, I have not played with it long enough to try to find the consistency. I did not see any clue through the HTML.
ForbesMM

Post by ForbesMM »

What browser are you using? Is your WYSIWYG editor turned on or off?
Thomas_Lerman

Post by Thomas_Lerman »

I am viewing using IE on Windows. I was going to try FF on Linux, but the wiki seems to be down. I see LABS is still up. Incidentally, the following line at labs probably should be fixed (notice it refers to Family Tree):
Updated 29 Feb 2008. Read more about the Family Tree on the Labs blog

I do not use a WYSIWYG editor.
Thomas_Lerman

Post by Thomas_Lerman »

The wiki is back up. I tried it on FF without a problem. When I tried it at the meeting last week, I experienced the same problem. If I recall correctly, Michael said he has experienced it as well.

Return to “FamilySearch Wiki”