Web Directory default & disclaimer change

So you have the BIG idea that the Church or community needs to develop. Discuss that idea here. Maybe you just want to make a suggestion on a new forum topic. Let us know.
wrigjef

Web Directory default & disclaimer change

Post by wrigjef »

I use the directory on the website to contact home teachers and my home teaching families. I notice that a number of people don't have contact information available and when I follow-up they insist that they have posted their information. I have found that when someone first enters activates their lds account and directory listing, the visibility default might limit access. I realize that church policy is to allow members the option of displaying their information, however, I propose that it might be best to prompt them to make a conscious decision not to post it. Also the directory disclaimer makes it clear that some members will choose not to display their information, and I propose that it also make it clear that the website is secure and information is only viewable to registered members of the church within the stake.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: Web Directory default & disclaimer change

Post by jdlessley »

wrigjef wrote:I have found that when someone first enters activates their lds account and directory listing, the visibility default might limit access.
The default visibility setting is determined by the country in which the member lives. In the U.S. and Canada the default visibility is set to "Stake", the highest visibility. This default requires the individual, or an adult member of the household, to change the setting or "opt out" if they want to limit the visibility of their information. If the visibility is not "Stake" then they have changed, or an adult member of their household has changed, that setting. An administrator can change the setting but should not do so without the member requesting it.
wrigjef wrote:I realize that church policy is to allow members the option of displaying their information, however, I propose that it might be best to prompt them to make a conscious decision not to post it.
It is not Church policy but rather the privacy laws of the country that determines whether the default visibility setting requires a member to opt in. The Church is complying with those laws for members in those countries. To do so otherwise would be a violation of those laws.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”