Adding Ward Callings to a Private Stake Calendar

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
darcymott

Adding Ward Callings to a Private Stake Calendar

Post by darcymott »

I am a Stake Executive Secretary and I have created a Private Calendar for Stake Leadership meetings. I can invite Stake callings to view the calendar, but would like to be able to invite Ward leaders, such as Bishops, to also view the calendar. I have been unable to add them by calling or by name. Can you help me solve this problem? Thanks.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Adding Ward Callings to a Private Stake Calendar

Post by aebrown »

At present, the only way to add viewers or editors to a stake private calendar is to use standard stake callings. There is no option for specifying ward callings for a stake-level private calendar.

So your only option is to add those viewers and editors by name, and update those assignments as there are changes in who has those particular callings. It's a bit of a hassle, but in the case of bishops those assignments shouldn't change too frequently.
failproof

Post by failproof »

darcymott wrote:...I have been unable to add them by calling or by name.
Can you explain what is happening when you try to add them by name? My experience is that by default, add new person is set to calling. When you select the by name option, it may take several seconds for the web page to do what it needs to in the background to connect to and gather the list of names in the stake. If you start trying to type a name before it's done thinking about it, it will be unable to find them. I get a spinning icon in the center of the name box for several seconds when I switch it to by name (using Google Chrome as my browser- may be different for other browsers). Once that icon goes away, I can click in the box and add by name with no issues.
darcymott

Post by darcymott »

I've done exactly as you describe. When I change from the default "by calling" to the "by name" option, I see the spinning gear for a few seconds and then it stops. However, when I type a name into the box, nothing happens. The "Add" button to the right remains in grey scale and it never brightens like it does when I select a Stake Position with the "by calling" option.

I did some further reading in the Help Section, and I wonder if, because I am an "Out of Unit" member serving as the Stake Executive Secretary in a Provo YSA Stake at BYU, that is the problem. It seems very strange to me that a Bishop or a Stake President is restricted as an Administrator because he is serving as an "Out of Unit" member.

Thanks for any help you can give.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

darcymott wrote:I did some further reading in the Help Section, and I wonder if, because I am an "Out of Unit" member serving as the Stake Executive Secretary in a Provo YSA Stake at BYU, that is the problem. It seems very strange to me that a Bishop or a Stake President is restricted as an Administrator because he is serving as an "Out of Unit" member.
Serving as an out-of-unit leader should not result in any restriction to having administrator rights. The procedures to enter an out-of-unit leader should result in the same permissions any other in-unit leader is capable of having. You would not be able to perform any of the tasks you have described if you did not have admin rights. So that is not were the problem lies.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
TerryDM
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by TerryDM »

Currently out-of-unit leaders do not have a membership records within the out-of-unit ward/stake (there membership record stays in their home ward) and the add by name only retrieves records for the ward/stake that is referenced by the calendar (YSA Ward/Stake). The development team understands this problem but as of yet have not resolved how best to fix the issue. There are a lot of moving parts that are beyond the calendar development teams control.
darcymott

Post by darcymott »

If I could add a Ward Position to the Stake Calendar instead of adding by name, my problem would be solved. At the Stake level, the Stake Presidency and High Councilors records all reside in their home wards, but they are able to view the Private Stake Calendar by virtue of their calling not their name. This is preferable anyway so that when they are released they lose visibility. Somehow the system is recognizing them by calling, notwithstanding the fact that they are an "Out of Unit" member. If I could just add Ward Leadership positions to view Private Stake Leadership Calendars, it would be ideal.
brett_r_brown

Post by brett_r_brown »

darcymott wrote:I am a Stake Executive Secretary and I have created a Private Calendar for Stake Leadership meetings. I can invite Stake callings to view the calendar, but would like to be able to invite Ward leaders, such as Bishops, to also view the calendar. I have been unable to add them by calling or by name. Can you help me solve this problem? Thanks.
I agree. I am also a Stake Executive Secretary and I have set up several private stake calendars with recurring events that correspond to a particular ward calling. If I could share these by calling rather than name it would be extremely helpful. For example, we have the stake presidency meeting with Bishoprics. It is true that these callings don't change often but they change often enough that it takes significant time to change these names. We also have quarterly PPIs set up between counselors in the stake presidency and the High Priest Group Leaders and Elders Quorum Presidents. With 12 units this changes quite often and it is hard to keep up. It almost negates the convenience of having a recurring event. There are other events similar to this. Just imagine any regular meeting between a stake calling and the ward counterpart. This would be a great help.

Thanks,
Brett Brown
caj36

Post by caj36 »

I also would like to see the option of adding Ward callings to a private Stake calendar. This would greatly simplify calendaring for many Stake Presidency trainings, PPIs, etc.

Return to “Calendar”