Receiving membership records not in our units

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
davesudweeks

Re: Receiving membership records not in our units

Post by davesudweeks »

Spencerwbingham wrote:You can't simply move records to a different ward if you don't have the address. I tried that and had to go to Bishops approval. If you have the address it will be much easier. However if you don't have the address than it won't move until you go down checklist. Even than may not get records out. Calling someone and requesting records makes job a lot easier, As is changing address and number of people that move within ward boundaries. Moving people out should happen soon I think.

I doubt we will ever be able to record events from home. Maybe can edit things like households.
In my comments, I was referring to a move where the clerk has the new address and also selects the ward to put the records into. If one does that, the record will move into the stated ward regardless of whether or not the address is actually within that ward's boundaries.

If one is trying to move a record without an actual address, we are talking about an entirely different subject. That said, we had cases where the sending clerk put our city in the street address field (along with the city and state in their fields) to force the record into our ward, though I could never figure out what sense that made. Since there was no phone number and no street address, there was no way for us to find them if they never came to church (and they never did).
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

davesudweeks wrote:Since there was no phone number and no street address, there was no way for us to find them if they never came to church (and they never did).
I'd still perform the usual steps to attempt to locate them before sending it to "Address Unknown".
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

Spencerwbingham wrote:I doubt we will ever be able to record events from home. Maybe can edit things like households.
Actually the recent bata test of more capabilities in Clerk Resources had this capability. Its my understanding that the church is working on putting all the capabilities of MLS online.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

Spencerwbingham wrote:You can't simply move records to a different ward if you don't have the address. I tried that and had to go to Bishops approval.
Why would you want to do this at all. Moving a record to another ward without any contact information is only sending a problem to that ward. A ward can't contact someone if there is no contact information. Its much better to move it to the unknown file at CHQ where there are personal who have access to other information that enables them to possibly move the record to the correct ward. Just received a record today that had been at CHQ since 2008, the funny thing about this was the record had last been in a ward in our Stake, the grandmother and daughter (living with Grandma) are members of our ward.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Gary_Miller wrote:Moving a record to another ward without any contact information is only sending a problem to that ward.
Generally, I'd agree. But there might be exceptions. If the ward sending knows the person is attending a college, they might send the records to the unit that covers that school. (Assuming this isn't BYU.) They might be able to contact someone with the school in person and find the member that way.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jasonfitt

Post by jasonfitt »

aebrown wrote:I think it's best to leave the destination ward blank, except in cases where you are moving records to a student, language-specific, or some other ward other than the default residential ward for the destination address.
I just noticed that they have now added the capability to move records out on LDS.org. I just tried it on a member who wanted to be moved to the local YSA Ward, and after I entered the address a drop down menu appeared with a list of units to choose from to move his records in to. If the website isn't using the most current data, as was suggested, then clerks might see more and more mystery move-ins that aren't in their ward boundaries. I'm curious to know what it does if you don't select a unit, and if it will let you continue.

Return to “Membership Help”