Multiple forums?

Ask questions and discuss topics of interest related to the FamilySearch wiki found at http://wiki.familysearch.org.

Moderator: ForbesMM

Thomas_Lerman

Multiple forums?

Post by Thomas_Lerman »

With all of these polls and best practices questions, I am starting to wonder if we should have multiple forums. I fear things will get lost amongst the crowd. I just spent quite a bit of time going through all of these, do not have time to research one of them, and may forget about that one when I get around to it.
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

The Family Search stuff seems to have enough traffic and is specialized enough that it likely warrants its own forum. The other stuff is getting hard to find in the bandwidth.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

I would have to agree.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
daddy-o-p40

Post by daddy-o-p40 »

I third the opinion that it's getting a bit congested here.
"What have I done for someone today?" Thomas Monson
RitcheyMT

Post by RitcheyMT »

How would another forum about the wiki make it easier to follow the several polls and threads about the wiki? Wouldn't it be harder then? You'd have to navigate/browse more forums, and would still have to read all the same threads to keep up with it all.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

ritcheymt wrote:How would another forum about the wiki make it easier to follow the several polls and threads about the wiki? Wouldn't it be harder then? You'd have to navigate/browse more forums, and would still have to read all the same threads to keep up with it all.
Ahh, but you're assuming we WANT to follow all the various wiki polls and threads. :rolleyes:
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
RitcheyMT

Post by RitcheyMT »

Mikerowaved wrote:Ahh, but you're assuming we WANT to follow all the various wiki polls and threads. :rolleyes:
Sooo... which ones don't you want to follow, and what do you propose as a solution? :)
Thomas_Lerman

Post by Thomas_Lerman »

How about one forum for best practices and the rest here? I am just a little concerned that other things not related to best practices may fall through the cracks.
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

I guess that since the MLS message in March 2008 inviting all the ward and stake clerks into the fun . . . er . . . forums, what some of us really need is a way (or some training) on how to filter out threads we really have no business with. Most clerks aren't going to click that "New Posts" button for very long before they decide that the entire forum is useless because most of the bandwidth is consumed with FamilySearch related posts. Teasing out clerk related posts is currently cumbersome enough as to be not worth the effort for most (IMHO).

And while I'm whining . . . Could someone with the power to do so please dial down the point size a notch or two for the list of threads presented in sub forums or search results. Yes, larger point sizes are easier to read, but my corrective lenses are working just fine, and there seems to be a lot of wasted . . . er . . . gratuitous space.

Here are some examples from other vBulletin powered forums (I don't necessarily like their respective color schemes, just the point size because it is easier to wade thru quickly):
http://forums.parallels.com/search.php?searchid=1042600
http://forums.appleinsider.com/search.p ... hid=199802
http://www.wpuniverse.com/vb/search.php ... descending
http://ubuntuforums.org/search.php?searchid=39023464

I also prefer Verdana or Tahoma to Arial as the default font, but that's another matter.

Edit:
Never mind, I found the Quick Style Chooser at the bottom of the screen, set it to LDS Tech (New) and am much happier now that everything is in Verdana. I still would like to see the point size reduced as I stated above.

The_Earl

Post by The_Earl »

jbh001 wrote:The Family Search stuff seems to have enough traffic and is specialized enough that it likely warrants its own forum. The other stuff is getting hard to find in the bandwidth.
I am of the opinion that most of the FS Wiki stuff needs to be on the FS Wiki. I would hope that after a bit of startup noise, the forum will settle down, and the Wiki pages will take the brunt of the traffic.

I worry that starting a new forum now just for the wiki will add another place for people to go, and end up abandon when the wiki pulls the information in.

Thanks
The Earl

Return to “FamilySearch Wiki”