Free Program to View PAF ged.files on disks

Discussions about PAF, PAF SDK, and the future of PAF.
Rack

Free Program to View PAF ged.files on disks

Post by Rack »

My father has left some disks with family PAF .ged files. I am wondering if there is a free program to read these disks. By brother said he saw one when searching google but I can not find it.

Thank you very much,
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Free Program to View PAF ged.files on disks

Post by russellhltn »

.ged files are not PAF per se, but GEDCOM files. I've used GenViewer Light, or you could import them into your program of choice.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Most genealogy programs can read or view GEDCOM files. GEDCOM files are identifiable by the .ged extension. Just be sure the files are scanned for viruses before opening them and backup any data you may have.

If you don't have a genealogy software program you can still open and read GEDCOM files from many free and shareware programs such the GEDCOM viewers listed here.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

If you want to use GEDCOM or PAF files with FamilySearch Family Tree, a better choice would be one of the three applications FamilySearch recommends as PAF replacements here.

Return to “Personal Ancestral File (PAF)”