Announcing a new Technology Manager Feature

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Announcing a new Technology Manager Feature

Post by aebrown »

bookofnorman wrote:I am not seeing this feature, has it been withdrawn?
The Restart Firewall feature is still available. You need to go to the list of firewalls, click on the Serial Number of the desired firewall, and then choose the Tools tab. Then you'll see the Restart Firewall option.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

aebrown wrote:
bookofnorman wrote:I am not seeing this feature, has it been withdrawn?
The Restart Firewall feature is still available. You need to go to the list of firewalls, click on the Serial Number of the desired firewall, and then choose the Tools tab. Then you'll see the Restart Firewall option.
I would be interested in the result of doing a restart, as it hasn't been working for me in recent weeks. I have five firewalls to watch over and none will do a restart remotely!

I have sent feedback to the MHT team!
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Biggles wrote:I would be interested in the result of doing a restart, as it hasn't been working for me in recent weeks. I have five firewalls to watch over and none will do a restart remotely!
I've never had any reason to use the remote restart capability. So I just tried it (it's early enough in the morning here that I can be pretty confident that no one would be in the building I selected).

The TM site gave the feedback I would have expected, confirming the restart. Then on the next refresh of data that happened to be two minutes later, TM said that the firewall was not responding. That seemed reasonable. Then I manually refreshed the data (an option available only when the firewall hasn't been responding) a couple of minutes after that, and the firewall reported that it was up.

But the odd thing is that the uptime did not change. It was still several days, instead of just a few minutes. That makes me wonder if it really did restart, although the temporary disconnect just after I initiated the restart would certainly seem to be evidence that it did restart.

I'll have to try this again when I'm actually in the building and can observe what happens with the firewall itself.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

aebrown wrote:But the odd thing is that the uptime did not change. It was still several days, instead of just a few minutes. That makes me wonder if it really did restart, although the temporary disconnect just after I initiated the restart would certainly seem to be evidence that it did restart.
It took a while, but I just checked, and the uptime reported in TM is now correct for this morning. So it appears that it did work properly (eventually).
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

Well I had another go! It went through the motions, the message about initialising the firewall reset displayed for about 15 seconds before going away. 1 hour 20 minutes later the Uptime hasn't reset.

Just initiated another reset and the same sequence as previous! The Uptime is working normally, showing the last time the box was physically powered down (at my request) about a week ago. The History box in the Tools menu registers both Firewall Remote start initiated times. I don't know when this particular function stopped working, but it definitely used to work. :confused:
spencerto
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by spencerto »

We have noticed that there are some firewalls that, even when we issue a remote restart command, don't actually obey...argh....(obedience is the first law of heaven).

We think it has to do with certain configurations that are prompting with additional prompts that our servers don't understand how to respond to. We have logged this issue and are tracing it to see what can be done to overcome it. We don't need everyone to contact us about their particular firewall, we just need a few samples to examine. Biggles, can you email your offending firewall serial numbers through the feedback link?

Thanks,
Tony Spencer
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

Thanks Tony, I'll sort out those serial numbers tomorrow, before you get to work. :D

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”