ipad or airbook

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
farwest

ipad or airbook

Post by farwest »

Just looking for advice on whether to buy an ipad or Mac airbook to use at church. I watch my wife use her ipad and it is quick as you follow along during the lessons. But I also attend meetings where taking notes would be easier on an airbook. Any suggestions?

Thanks
mprusse

Re: ipad or airbook

Post by mprusse »

I'm a bishop and faced this question a few years back. I opted for the MacBook Air and am very pleased with my decision. I take and keeps lots of records for my calling in Evernote and the speed and efficiency in doing that and navigating and using LDS.org leader web sites is much easier on laptop than an iOS device. I recall having difficulty in some areas of LDS.org on an iPad. My 11" MacBook Air isn't that much bigger than an iPad and provides for me much more. When I'm without it, the LDS Tools & other apps on my iPhone fill in the gap.
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

For me, the form factor is the thing. It seems a little extreme to sit in a Gospel Doctrine class with a laptop computer on my lap. But an iPad isn't as awkward. Of course, you'll get more power out of a Macbook Air and, dollar for dollar, it might be a better deal although it costs more overall. (It may cost twice what an iPad costs but has more than twice the power, storage, etc.) But is it overkill for what you want to do? You could always get a bluetooth keyboard for an iPad if typing is the only concern about the iPad's limitations. And you could put the keyboard away during Gospel Doctrine. (I use the same bluetooth keyboard Apple sells for their desktop computers but you can also get keyboards that are integrated into a nice case for the iPad.)
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

Just one more thought: The bluetooth keyboard I use works with a desktop Mac, an iPad and an iPod Touch, so my guess is that it will also work with an iPhone. In other words, if you already have an iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch then maybe all you really need is a bluetooth keyboard to help take notes in a meeting. Then you can avoid the expense of a Macbook Air.

Return to “General Discussions”