remote access

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
eblood66

Re: remote access

Post by eblood66 »

Mikerowaved wrote:
rgdlm wrote:MLS support uses something to access remotely. I have had them hook up to a Ward computer and do work on it.
Yes, over the years they've used different tools to accomplish this, but the licensing and methods used are only for their use, not ours.
They are also inside the church VPN so they can tunnel through the firewall to directly access meetinghouse computers, something we can't do either.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

They could overcome any access or licensing issues they choose to. They are choosing to require STS to sacrifice their time rather than provide remote access tools. Combined with the nearly dormant leader.lds.org development I would likely choose the same but when the choice was made the leader tool was going to receive more dev time than it clearly has received.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

russellhltn wrote: The problem with most other solutions is that they require allowing a incomming TCP/IP connection - something that firewalls and routers are designed to block by default. The direction of the connection is everything. I'm not talking about who initiates the action, but which software initiates the TCP/IP connection.
There's a feature called "reverse connection" than overcame this kind of filter.
I'm not completely sure because, as I said, I used TeamViewer till today, so I need some tests, but it seems effective.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

marianomarini wrote:There's a feature called "reverse connection" than overcame this kind of filter.
I'm not completely sure because, as I said, I used TeamViewer till today, so I need some tests, but it seems effective.
That may work - it would be your home firewall that would have to be opened. But it seems to me that limits it to one house who can control it.

And there's still the issue that the broadcast said remote was prohibited by policy.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

russellhltn wrote:And there's still the issue that the broadcast said remote was prohibited by policy.
I don't want to open a diatribe about this.
As I said before, this way require that someone is in front of clerk pc to switch it ON and OFF.
Maybe I remeber wrong, but I read somewere that remote control, for technical matter, is allow.
But, as I said, I don't want go further about this.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

marianomarini wrote:I read somewere that remote control, for technical matter, is allow.
At one time PC Anywhere was allowed for doing just that. But those were the old computer guidelines. That verbiage isn't in the current policy.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

russellhltn wrote:At one time PC Anywhere was allowed for doing just that. But those were the old computer guidelines. That verbiage isn't in the current policy.
Thanks a lot.
gbekmezian

Post by gbekmezian »

jviola wrote:I will be our new stake technology person soon. We have a very large stake as far as boundaries. From North to South is 2.5 hours and East to West is 2 hours. I would like to be able to remote into the computers when I get a call. What is the church's policy for remoting into church computers? Also, what software are you using to take control?

Thanks,
This is certainly unofficial, but here are a couple of free tools that you could try to use until there is something official:

http://www.webex.com/plans/meetings-plans.html (the free option)
https://join.me (There is a free option here also, though I have never tried using that one)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

gbekmezian wrote:This is certainly unofficial, but here are a couple of free tools that you could try to use until there is something official:
The question is, is it even allowed? The last word we had from the broadcast suggests "no".

jviola

Post by jviola »

I know there are tools out there. The tool we use at work is called "Bomgar". It is a great product. There are several things we like about it.

First, the licensing. We purchase 5 licenses and anyone in our company can use the license, but only 5 people can be connected at one time. I would think if the church purchased 300 to 400 licenses that would cover the number of STS connected at any given time? If someone is idle for a period of time you can disconnect them to free up a license.

Second, we like the ability to pin a connection. So when I get on a server or computer I can pin it. After it has been pinned I don't need anyone on the other end to accept the connection.

Third, bomgar allow you to reboot the computer and it will reconnect you automatically. It will also allow you to boot into safe mode.

Fourth, all sessions are recorded. The church could do periodic audits of these session to make sure that the use is appropriate.

Fifth, so far we haven't had a firewall that prevented us from connecting.

Sixth, the responsiveness of the remote screen is incredible. It is the only remote program that I found that handles PowerPoint with the delays.

Seventh, If you do need to do something on the remote computer that you don't want the user to see, you can blank the screen. You can also disable the keyboard and mouse.

Eighth, you can schedule support or presentations for multiple people to connect. You can do training, you can share your screen with and end user and give them control if you would like.

Nine, Bomgar requires authentication agains AD or LDAP server. So the access can be controlled. Features and functions can be controlled also.

Well, I think I've said enough. I don't work for Bomgar, I am just one of their customers. I think it would be the perfect tool for the church to implement to allow STS who have very large stakes (like me) to work on computer issues.

Return to “Clerk Computers”