Drag & Drop Confirmation

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
mnmpeterson

Drag & Drop Confirmation

Post by mnmpeterson »

I've noticed calendar administrators accidentally changing the date of an event in the calendar by dragging an event from one day to the next in Month view. This can be a real problem, especially if they don't remember which date the event was originally scheduled for. But more often they don't even know they did it.

I've caught myself accidentally dragging events to another date and I'm considered an "expert" in our stake. Several stake and ward leaders are calendar administrators by default and are not tech savvy so they can easily, and unintentionally, drag an event and change its date without knowing when or how they did it.

I think the best solution would be to have a confirmation message pop up whenever you drag an event to another date. This way people will know what they did and have a chance to cancel if it was unintentional.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Drag & Drop Confirmation

Post by aebrown »

Personally, I'd find a confirmation prompt to be very annoying. Sometimes I do multiple drag and drop operations and being forced to confirm every operation would be a real drag (pun intended :) ).

I'd prefer an approach like GMail uses -- when the drag & drop is completed, a message pops up saying something like "Message x was moved from the Promotions folder to the Primary folder. Undo?" That way no prompt slows you down, but you see a notification that you moved something, and you have an easy way to undo it.
mnmpeterson

Post by mnmpeterson »

Yeah, a confirmation prompt might be annoying but not half as annoying as showing up for an event on the wrong day because somebody accidentally moved it in the calendar.

As for the Google-like prompts, I'm afraid they would be ignored or go unnoticed if editors are not forced to acknowledge them--especially with technically challenged administrators.

Another option would be to disable drag and drop by default and require each editor to enable the feature if they really use it.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

mnmpeterson wrote:Yeah, a confirmation prompt might be annoying but not half as annoying as showing up for an event on the wrong day because somebody accidentally moved it in the calendar.

As for the Google-like prompts, I'm afraid they would be ignored or go unnoticed if editors are not forced to acknowledge them--especially with technically challenged administrators.

Another option would be to disable drag and drop by default and require each editor to enable the feature if they really use it.
Or perhaps use ctrl-drag/drop instead of a simple drag and drop. It's unlikely someone would accidentally press ctrl while also accidentally dragging and dropping. But for a power user it should still be very easy to use.

Return to “Calendar”