Ward Area Book

This forum will hold posts about new technologies and how they could be or are being used to benefit the Church.
topherreynoso

Re: Ward Area Book

Post by topherreynoso »

Unkown4now (how mysterious),

I'm glad you have found it and hope it helps your ward council like it has mine. After you create a new area book, you can press the green button at the bottom of the Ward List in order to import a CSV. Obviously, the first time you import there will be a lot of families to add but after your initial import, you can run another import with a CSV of more recent info at any time. That will let you see a list of families that are new, families that should be archived, and families that have updated contact or other info since the last import. Regularly importing is advisable. I hope that helps!
Topher Reynoso
Uknown4now

Post by Uknown4now »

I see.... the green refresh button. That is what I needed. (I guess I could have clicked it to see what it does...ha)
Uknown4now

Post by Uknown4now »

Feedback already:
On my first import, I got an error, I re-imported and got same error. Click on my ward list and there were 20 or so names imported duplicate times. Not a big deal except I can not easily identify how to delete someone. My only option seems to be to delete the ward.

Also, on import, I only saw the first 3 names of the CSV and was not able to scroll up and down. Only side to side. As a result, I just selected check all and imported.

By the way, I am using firefox browser. Going to see if app functions differently in IE.

Recommendations:
Add an "Edit" capability on the ward list to allow you to delete an entry that may be a duplicate. This should be a check box next to each name with a button you click to delete selected. (If this is user error, or not commonly used post import then it would be low priority)
Uknown4now

Post by Uknown4now »

Definitely works better in IE although each household row is 4 inches. Possibly an autosize based on the largest household? If so, having the autosize by row would be better.

Also, got the same error on import:

"We're sorry, but something went wrong.
If you are the application owner check the logs for more information"

At least I have enough info to test the app...
topherreynoso

Post by topherreynoso »

Strange, was working last week without a problem. I am able to generate the error and will address it tonight. Would you mind telling me the source of your csv and whether or not you made any specific alterations to headers or anything like that?
Topher Reynoso
topherreynoso

Post by topherreynoso »

Also you can archive a family by clicking on their name in the ward list (or anywhere else for that matter) and use the yellow "Archive Family" button. You will need to go to the archive and select the family to then have the option to permanently delete though.
Topher Reynoso
topherreynoso

Post by topherreynoso »

Okay this issue is resolved and working properly, please let me know if you are still experiencing issues. Just a couple of thoughts though:

1. You can use the "Help" link from within the app, those resources are pretty exhaustive on the current features, so if you ever get stumped feel free to check the help files.
2. I think this is a great forum to discuss features and suggestions but it's probably best to take specific issues or bugs to the github site and report them in issues. Github does a much better job at tracking such things and notifying those interested of any updates.

Thanks for the feedback and help, I look forward to improving the app and finding out what other wards find useful and what needs improvement.
Topher Reynoso
marmat

Post by marmat »

Topher,

Thank you for creating this innovative tool for ward council members to collaborate on missionary work! This is the kind of forward thinking that we as members of the Church need to be progressing to help further the work!

Thanks and I'm grateful that you are working on it still. I imagine that since you have released this for collaboration on GitHub the development could continue further still with more contributors and potentially become part of an official app which would be awesome.

I can visualize a digital area book that ward council members *and* full-time missionaries can access to keep everyone on the same page!

Regards!
williamjackson

Post by williamjackson »

It may be a good idea to find a way to obscure the admin email address when showing the list of wards that you can request access to.

I set up a new ward, poked around, then deleted it. For now. I might come back to this. However, after I deleted the ward and signed out, I get an error when I sign in again: "The page you were looking for doesn't exist."
marmat

Post by marmat »

I agree with @williamjackson, having privacy even if obscured is a good idea. I don't think having the ward admins name and email is needed. There could be a button that says 'contact administrator' or something.

Thanks!

Return to “Emerging Technologies”