Out of Unit Leader Photos

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
jagflynn

Re: Out of Unit Leader Photos

Post by jagflynn »

The practical solution is to reverse the out-of-unit membership record between the assigned and home units.

If you create an out-of-unit record in the assigned unit, that record only resides on the assigned unit's computer. So the individual's name will not appear in the online (LDS.org) directory of the assigned unit. Also, the individual will not be able to see any online info about the youth and children in the assigned unit. For example, if the individual is called to serve the YW in the assigned unit, the individual will not have access to the online tools that she needs to do her duties in the assigned unit. When she logs into the Personal Progress website, she will see the records of the YW in her home unit rather than the YW in the assigned unit.

On the other hand, the intent of keeping the individual's membership record in the home unit is for the individual to make donations in the home unit, to receive HT & VT from the home unit, and to renew the individual's temple recommend in the home unit.

The purposes above can be accomplished by creating an out-of-unit record in the home unit rather than the assigned unit. To accomplish the desired results, the tasks below must be completed by the home unit clerk in the following order:

(1) Print a copy of the individual's membership record.
(2) Annotate the printed record with the names of the HT & VT.
(3) Then transfer the membership record to the assigned unit.
(4) After sending the record, create an out-of-unit membership record in the home unit's computer using the data on the printed membership record. Be sure to enter the ordinance and temple recommend info so that the individual does not appear on any action lists as a nonmember, unordained male, unendowed adult, endowed adult without a temple recommend, etc.
(5) Then enter the HT & VT assignments.

jagflynn@hotmail.com
jagflynn@hotmail.com
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

jagflynn wrote:On the other hand, the intent of keeping the individual's membership record in the home unit is for the individual to make donations in the home unit, to receive HT & VT from the home unit, and to renew the individual's temple recommend in the home unit.

The purposes above can be accomplished by creating an out-of-unit record in the home unit rather than the assigned unit.
In order for the home stake to activate a temple recommend the member's record must be in their home ward. So this solution does not allow for that.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jagflynn wrote:The practical solution is to reverse the out-of-unit membership record between the assigned and home units.
To accomplish the desired results, the tasks below must be completed by the home unit clerk in the following order:
I don't see how that's practical at all. The list of tasks to be completed by the home unit clerk is far longer than simply uploading an updated photo. So the cure is much worse than the original problem. I'd suggest that it's better to follow the published guidelines, leaving the family records intact in the home ward, and have the home ward clerk upload the photo.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

jagflynn wrote:The practical solution is to reverse the out-of-unit membership record between the assigned and home units.
Why would this be practical?
jagflynn wrote:If you create an out-of-unit record in the assigned unit, that record only resides on the assigned unit's computer.
Correct that is how its to work the member is not an official member of the unit, they have been assigned temporally to the unit, in most cases they are assigned to the Bishopric of a YSA ward or to a stake leadership position in a YSA stake. An out of unit member record needs to be created to enable them to accomplish the responsibilities in the assigned unit.
jagflynn wrote:So the individual's name will not appear in the online (LDS.org) directory of the assigned unit.
I'm not sure if this is correct or not. However since I have no way of checking this out I will have to take your ward for it. On the other hand in the single adult ward in my stake the Bishopric members all appear on the YSA wards directory and not in the home unit directory, but I think this is because their records were actually moved to the YSA ward and not done as an out-of-unit record.
jagflynn wrote:Also, the individual will not be able to see any online info about the youth and children in the assigned unit. For example, if the individual is called to serve the YW in the assigned unit, the individual will not have access to the online tools that she needs to do her duties in the assigned unit. When she logs into the Personal Progress website, she will see the records of the YW in her home unit rather than the YW in the assigned unit.
This should be no big deal since most out-of-unit records are for Leadership in YSA wards and only the Bishopric members in a YSA Ward should be holding callings within the ward. As well as the obvious and that is YSA wards don't have children or YW in their wards.
jagflynn wrote:On the other hand, the intent of keeping the individual's membership record in the home unit is for the individual to make donations in the home unit, to receive HT & VT from the home unit, and to renew the individual's temple recommend in the home unit.
Not really the intent is because the Bishop of the home ward is responsible for all members living within their ward boundaries and he has the stewardship over those member even when there calling is assigned outside of their home ward.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jagflynn wrote:So the individual's name will not appear in the online (LDS.org) directory of the assigned unit.
I'm not sure that's true for a leader.

jagflynn wrote:For example, if the individual is called to serve the YW in the assigned unit, the individual will not have access to the online tools that she needs to do her duties in the assigned unit. When she logs into the Personal Progress website, she will see the records of the YW in her home unit rather than the YW in the assigned unit.
YW? I'm at a loss to think of why an out of unit leader is needed for YW. That would be a most unusual situation. Most of the time the out-of-unit leader is for a Student or YSA ward.

I'll also point out that your suggestion to move the record to the served ward is at odds with the Handbook.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Miknmaur

Post by Miknmaur »

The out of unit members (sr. couples assigned by the stake as bishopric or sr. missionaries) in our YSA ward do not show up in the list of members on LDS.org even though they each have an out of unit record. This includes the bishopric.
On LDS.org
1. The bishopric and clerk do show up as leaders under Ward Leaders if it is selected on the LDS.org directory.
2. Under the Ward Leaders section of LDS.org directory there is no way to add photos of the Bishopric and Clerk since they are all out of unit.
3. Since the sr couples do not show up in the households I cannot assign photos to them.
On LDS Tools
1. The sr. couples do show up by name in LDS tools Directory where the wife's name is in the list as part of the husband's listing as "Doe, John & Jane."
2. If I select a couple the household section only lists the husband as a houshold member.

I want to:
1. Have the sr. couples and bishopric show up as households in the directory on LDS.org directory
2. Add photos for all of the sr. couples and bishopric on LDS.org
3. Add photos for all of the sr. couples and bishopric for LDS tools.

Thanks
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

Miknmaur wrote:The out of unit members (sr. couples assigned by the stake as bishopric or sr. missionaries) in our YSA ward do not show up in the list of members on LDS.org even though they each have an out of unit record. This includes the bishopric.
The out of unit record is only in your local copy of MLS, so nothing at CHQ knows about it. The one thing it does for you that affects data at CHQ is that you can then put those people in callings in MLS. Those callings do go to CHQ (CDOL) and can affect other parts of LDS.org.
Miknmaur

Post by Miknmaur »

All of the Sr. missionaries are assigned callings as ward missionaries so that they can see the ward website. Half of them are from another stake.
So adding photos for OOU folks is not in the plan? I think that is not a good plan, the YSAs need to be able to put a face to a name for all of us old folks hanging around.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

Miknmaur wrote:All of the Sr. missionaries are assigned callings as ward missionaries so that they can see the ward website. Half of them are from another stake.
So adding photos for OOU folks is not in the plan? I think that is not a good plan, the YSAs need to be able to put a face to a name for all of us old folks hanging around.
Photos can be added but they have to be done in the person's home ward. Once they are added in the home ward they should show up in the YSA ward. For proselyting missionaries the mission office can add their photos as well.

Based on what I know of the internal CHQ architecture (which is admittedly second hand) adding the ability for wards to add photos for out of unit leaders is probably a fair amount of work. Given the reductions in the teams working on the website tools, I expect it will be a while even if the priesthood authorities decide it should be done.
Miknmaur

Post by Miknmaur »

The counselor in the bishopric in the YSA ward that resides in my stake (the YSA ward is in a different stake) can see my photo on the YSA directory under ward leaders/bishopric but the counselor from the other stake where the YSA ward is part cannot see my picture. The counselor from the same stake as the YSA ward is going to upload his picture on his ward website and we will see what happens.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”