Guide/FAQ Calendar 2.6

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Guide to Using Calendar

Post by aebrown »

smvpegb wrote:Where can i find the fully guide for using the calendar ??
The calendar help system is accessible from the Settings menu, or directly here.

Note that it is a bit out of date (e.g., it still uses the old "reservations" term for what the software now more appropriately calls "restrictions") but it is the most complete documentation available.
jirp

Post by jirp »

Here is the handout I just finished for doing the ward calendar training class. Might save someone else the time of creating it.
Attachments
Calendarhandout..doc
(19.5 KiB) Downloaded 218 times
rshurtz

Post by rshurtz »

I am the stake clerk in the Enoch Utah Stake (517925). A week ago the building scheduler for the stake center was released. I went to edit and added the new building scheduler. On Friday she noticed that a young women activity was on her calendar the same time and rooms as a wedding reception blocked out by the previous building scheduler. She got the conflict resolved and called me. The calendar has never allowed this kind of conflict before. I tried adding another event the same time and rooms as the wedding reception and it let me (later deleted). I tried to schedule over 2 other events and one let me and one said the building was previously reserved.
Do you have any suggestions as to what went wrong or how to fix it?
Please e-mail me and we call if necessary.

Roger Shurtz
Enoch Stake Clerk
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Are any of these "events" in fact a restriction? Only actual events prevent anything else from being scheduled. Restrictions only limits what units can schedule during that time. There is nothing to prevent a conflict between a restriction and anything else.

The other thing to check is to see if you've got a duplicate building and/or room.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
dgoehring

Post by dgoehring »

Our stake shares a building with a ward from another stake. Both units can add calendar items but we cannot see the other wards calendar items. For example, in one situation the two wards in one build (one from each stake) try to schedule youth events to reserve the building for an event. Since they cannot see the other stake's schedule, they double book the building.

The second scenario is when the ward in the shared building tried to schedule an event in our stake's Stake Center, for example a baptism. We cannot see their scheduled event in the stake calendar and thus can double book the building.

Is there a better way to schedule events when buildings are used by multiple stakes?
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

@ dgoehring, are you looking at the calendar in week view? Only in week view can you see everything scheduled for that building, and that needs to be the first thing to check.

It maybe also that both stakes just set up the building as a location in both stakes as if the building belonged to their stake. I know there is a way to set this up so both stakes can see the scheduled event from the other stake in a multi stake building. I'm not sure what needs to be done but I know its be talked about before so do a search as see what you can turn up. Or maybe russell can help out.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

dgoehring wrote:Since they cannot see the other stake's schedule, they double book the building. [...] We cannot see their scheduled event in the stake calendar and thus can double book the building.
That's a myth. Just because you can't see the event doesn't mean you can double book it with two events. As long as the calendar knows it's the same building/room, it will not allow two events to happen at the same time. If you try, it will refuse to accept the second event - regardless of the rights held by the scheduler.

But that part "as long as it knows..." raises a issue that has to be looked at. The way it works is that the agent stake may have to add the guest unit to that location. The guest unit has to use that shared location and NOT create a new location because they can't see it. Otherwise, the calendar thinks they are separate locations.

This is all covered in Locations and Resources Shared by Multiple Stakes

Done right, both stakes should be able to see the events by switching to week view.

And at the risk of pointing out the obvious, all events must have the location set and not use "No location" or "Other location". If they fail to do that, then they have not scheduled the building. Also, you must schedule using "events" and not "restrictions". All kinds of problems can happen if you try to use restrictions to schedule events.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Since this comes up frequently:
Attachments
Restriction vs Event
Restriction vs Event
Restriction vs Event.png (23.99 KiB) Viewed 1573 times

jeffevannelson
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jeffevannelson »

For anyone interested a little bit of what I talked about was discussed in a meeting elder black talked about it
http://broadcast.lds.org/ICS/techcon201 ... -2013.html
Its labeled how to use calendar setup your ward or stake
The resolution is horrible but maybe it could help people we need to create a video for this and put it in the help.
B_Seegmiller

Post by B_Seegmiller »

I'm the stake clerk in our stake, and I haven't been able to see any calendar except for my "home" building's. I've heard that there's work afoot to allow stake folk to see the scheduling of other units/buildings in the stake, but I can't see any instructions for it here or at LDS help, unless I'm missing the secret decoder ring.

As far as allowing "anyone" to create reservations for our (multi-unit) building (which is also a stake center), our experience was that it resulted in madness, a tragedy of the commons of sorts, where whoever got in first blocked others, so we had "go back" to funneling it through a scheduler. So much for tech making life that much easier. :)

Return to “Calendar”