Downloading full PDF versions?

Discussions around the Android version of the Gospel Library application.
dsesplin

Re: Downloading full PDF versions?

Post by dsesplin »

davejgreen wrote:When viewing an Ensign article (or a section from a manual) I am able to download related media so I can view the PDF version of that article (or section) only. ...Thanks, Dave.
I still haven't figured it out. Can anyone tell me how to access the 'related media' from the gospel library on android as mentioned above? I can't see any way to do it.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'm not entirely sure that this thread has anything to do with Android. The OP may have started it in the wrong forum.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

russellhltn wrote:I'm not entirely sure that this thread has anything to do with Android. The OP may have started it in the wrong forum.
I suppose that speculation can't be entirely ruled out, but the fact remains that in this post, Jason Hyer (who describes himself in his signature as working on Gospel Library for ANDROID) said that it was possible in Gospel Library to download the PDF for a particular article. No one has been able to explain how to do that.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aebrown wrote:I suppose that speculation can't be entirely ruled out, but the fact remains that in this post, Jason Hyer (who describes himself in his signature as working on Gospel Library for ANDROID) said that it was possible in Gospel Library to download the PDF for a particular article. No one has been able to explain how to do that.
Except there's nothing in his post that references GL or Android (other then his signature). But because of his work in GL he probably has inside knowledge of content. And since this was pointed in the Android GL section, he responded. But he'll have to clarify his post.

But at this point I suspect that this thread really belong in "lds.org Website" section. (At which point this thread will make a lot more sense.)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
dsesplin

Post by dsesplin »

jasonhyer wrote:...At this time we don't have plans to do the full download of the book or magazine via PDF. If you want the full PDF you will need to go to LDS.org and download it from there. You will notice that in addition to the full PDF download that each article or lesson is available for download and that is where we pull the content from.
except that jason says that they don't have plans at the present time to download the full pdf you have to go to lds.org do that. this implies that the Android app can download individual articles. JasonHyer can you clarify?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

dsesplin wrote:this implies that the Android app can download individual articles.
Found it. The key is in the OP.

1) Be IN the article of interest (not at the index).
2) Press the right arrow button (looks like a "play" icon)
3) One of the options is "View PDF"

dsesplin

Post by dsesplin »

Finally! That worked. Thanks for your help.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

russellhltn wrote:1) Be IN the article of interest (not at the index).
2) Press the right arrow button (looks like a "play" icon)
3) One of the options is "View PDF"
Note that this doesn't work everywhere. For example, although Jason used the term "talk", there are no PDFs for General Conference (but the Ensign GC issues do have them). Some manuals also have no PDFs (which is why I couldn't see this option -- I was looking at the D&C teacher's manual).
dsesplin

Post by dsesplin »

The view pdf option seems to have disappeared in the latest release. Has anyone else seen this?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

dsesplin wrote:The view pdf option seems to have disappeared in the latest release. Has anyone else seen this?
The option is still there in the latest version for Android Gospel Library (2.6.1.7). As was noted earlier, the "View PDF" option is not available for all content. To be specific, I tested this by going to Manuals > Teachings of Presidents > TOPOTC: Lorenzo Snow > Chapter 1. Then I tapped the triangle (looks like a "Play" button) in the action bar at the bottom, and indeed the View PDF option was there (and it worked properly).

Return to “Android Gospel Library”