Primary Easter lesson

Discussions about the Lesson Schedules Tool
karelyna

Primary Easter lesson

Post by karelyna »

When I move the Primary lesson to April, I expected all the other lessons to move up one week. Can that happen?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: Primary Easter lesson

Post by jdlessley »

There is no direct method to accomplish what you want. But what you want can be accomplished using the "+ Event" and "Insert missing lessons" functions.What I came up with is not possible without an administrator being involved. Only administrators can add or edit events. I used an event and the "Insert misssing lessons" function to add an Easter lesson.

The purpose of the "Insert missing lessons" function is to postpone lessons normally replaced by an event. If you want to insert a special lesson, in this case an Easter lesson, yet postpone and maintain the sequence of regular lessons, then creat an event only for Primary on Easter Sunday. Then use the "Insert missing lessons" link to postpone and maintain the sequence of regular lessons. Once this has been done then delete the event. This will leave the lesson on Easter Sunday as a "Not Specified" lesson. Now the "Not Specified" lesson can be edited to create the special Easter lesson. The end result is the regular lessons will be postponed to continue in sequence after the Easter lesson.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
mstauff

Re: Primary Easter lesson

Post by mstauff »

There are a couple alternate approaches as well that don't require an admin to insert an event.

The first is very similar to what jdlessley suggested, except instead of requiring an event you can just set the weeks that you want to use an alternate lesson (Easter and Christmas) to "Custom Topic", do the insert lessons, the chapters will be reassigned flowing around the custom topics, and then you can go back to those weeks and change them back to a chapter lesson and select the appropriate chapters.

Another approach would be to set the Easter lesson, then do insert missing lessons, but rather than selecting "Insert all missing lessons" use the "insert specific lessons" option which will allow you to select a starting date (the week after Easter) and the starting lesson, and then it will reassign all the lessons from that point on.

If you have several classes that you're trying to update, and a cooperative ward admin, jdlessley's approach would probably be the fastest. If it's only a couple of classes and you want to be able to handle everything yourself without ward admin assistance, then either of the two methods I listed would be likely be easier.

Return to “Lesson Schedules”