Unable to Post Attachment to the Newsletter

Discussions about the Newsletter Tool at LDS.org.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: Unable to Post Attachment to the Newsletter

Post by jdlessley »

scubadox wrote:I'm not so sure that anyone who can fix this watches these forums.
Sometimes they do. But we seldom know unless they post to the thread.
scubadox wrote:I'm wondering if this needs to submitted to IT as a trouble ticket? Does anyone have any experience in how to do this?
The community does not have access to internal trouble reporting. The approved method is to report issues using the LDS.org feedback link. Do not expect a return response with any explanation of the internal tracking or status of the problem. We have had some employees return and report that an issue is being worked or at least considered for a future release. But seldom is there any future release timeline or status report.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
smconvey

Post by smconvey »

scubadox wrote:I'm wondering if this needs to submitted to IT as a trouble ticket? Does anyone have any experience in how to do this?
Per the suggestion in post #17, I reported this via the lds.org feedback link. Also, you can contact local unit support here:
smconvey

Post by smconvey »

I emailed local unit support and received this reply:
We thank you for visiting LDS .org. The newsletter is still working out the bugs. Sorry for the inconvenience
I've posted a link.

https://ue.ldschurch.org/ldsapphelp/newsletter/
smconvey

Post by smconvey »

This is still a problem for me. I just tried again this morning.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

smconvey wrote:This is still a problem for me. I just tried again this morning.
I post attachments all the time, and I rarely have a problem. It's been a long time since I've seen any error while posting an attachment.

When you say "this" is still a problem, are you referring specifically to posting attachments? Or are you talking about other problems people have mentioned with the "Not Available: This Page Is Unavailable" symptom? There are indeed some current problems (one with images, and one with certain keywords) that result in that problem.
smconvey

Post by smconvey »

When I try to post attachments to our stake newsletter, I get the error as follows:
1) Edit an existing newsletter item
2) Click the "Add Attachment" link.
3) Select my pdf attachment and click Okay
4) The attachment appears to attach without error
5) Check the User Agreement checkbox and click Save
6) I get the following error:
Newsletter error.PNG
Newsletter error.PNG (3.24 KiB) Viewed 3262 times
This error is 100% repeatable. I've tried different browsers and clearing all my cookies.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

smconvey wrote:This error is 100% repeatable. I've tried different browsers and clearing all my cookies.
Have you eliminated the other problems as a possibility? Perhaps it is possible that the article you are editing has an image, or the text contains some of the problematic keywords.

So I'd recommend that you create a new article, with very simple text and no image in the body of the article. Then attach the same attachments you just reported having problems with. If you can save the article, then later edit and save successfully, then chances are that you are seeing one of the other problems, and it just so happens that you also have attachments -- the attachments aren't the real problem.

But if you do that test and you still get the error, then the attachments must be the source of the problem. In that case, you might want to try different attachments to see if the problem is relevant to certain attachments, or is a broader problem.

I just did a test, following your exact steps, and the article saved with no error. Of course I'm editing a different article and adding a different attachment. So I'm trying to suggest troubleshooting steps that could help us understand why you are seeing this error when I am not.
smconvey

Post by smconvey »

My text has no images. It does have some formatting (i.e. bold, bullets, numbers, etc.). I've tried creating a whole new entry and deleting the old entry. This does not work either.

Edit: I just tried creating an entry with one word of text and adding the attachment and it worked. However, when I add the text after the fact, I get the error. Perhaps the text is too long?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

smconvey wrote:I just tried creating an entry with one word of text and adding the attachment and it worked. However, when I add the text after the fact, I get the error. Perhaps the text is too long?
It's clear from other reports that certain keywords cause a problem. My guess is that you are running into that problem, rather than sheer length of the article. The words "create" and "function" and "joint" all have been reported. It's not necessarily every use of those particular words, but somehow the order or combination.

It could be tedious, but you could try to narrow it down by cutting out half the text, then if the problem occurs, cut it in half again (otherwise, try the other half, and cut it in half). Repeat until you find the problematic word.

Another test would be to use the problematic text, but completely remove all the attachments. That will help you understand if the attachments are a relevant factor or only a distraction.

Also, if the text is not particularly sensitive you could post it here (or send it to me by private message). Then I could try it and see if the same text causes a problem, which would rule out anything connected to your unit or your environment.
smconvey

Post by smconvey »

aebrown wrote:Another test would be to use the problematic text, but completely remove all the attachments. That will help you understand if the attachments are a relevant factor or only a distraction.
I've done that. I can successfully post the entire text, without any attachments.

Return to “Newsletter”