Is anyone using PVC?

Discussions about the desktop video conferencing solution provided by the Church

Moderators: MarchantRR, rodhyde

gyoungberg

Is anyone using PVC?

Post by gyoungberg »

This forum was somewhat lively for several months, but the last several it has been almost dead. Is it because the product works so flawlessly that there's nothing to discuss? Is it because no one is using it regularly?

I've really tried to implement it in my stake for high-council meetings as well as other stake meetings, but we keep going back to Skype because we seem to always need to add someone else in on a laptop or a tablet and it's just easier to support them with Skype when there are only a few minutes to get the meeting up and going.

We do use PVC for stake conference and that has worked surprisingly well, but I just can't get PVC to grow legs and take off for our other meetings.

Does anyone have any advice?
Thanks!
pete.arnett

Re: Is anyone using PVC?

Post by pete.arnett »

We are using PVC (powered by Vidyo)

Also, we are waiting on the product to be upgraded during 2014 to Vidyo version 3.0, which will include the guest link joining feature
harddrive

Post by harddrive »

pete.arnett, that is interesting that you are waiting on guess login, because we are using the guess login to a conference room in my stake for stake conference.

I don't know how much our stake is using this, but I would love to see more of it, because it is terrific. I had a conference meeting with my stake presidency using it and it could be used for a lot more stuff.

People just have to think about using in my book. I'm not in enough meetings to really push it, but what I have used of it, I really like it.
pete.arnett

Post by pete.arnett »

Can you try a guest account on a mobile device (Android or iPad)

We just finished our Fort Landerdale Florida Temple - Open House, Cultural Celebration and Dedication and used PVC for members of the various committees and SLC Temple and Audio/Visual staff to be part of the meetings
wiscombe.peter

Post by wiscombe.peter »

The forum being "dead" may have more to do with there being very little "official" involvement from anyone involved with the PVC infrastructure in the Church. Not much reason to post questions, when the only replies are other users having the same issues.

Please note, this is not necessarily a complaint, more of an observation. I don't expect church employees to spend time perusing these message boards in case that there is a question they can answer. Just realize that this is mainly a user board and unless the question you have can be answered by another general user, it probably isn't going to be answered.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

wiscombes wrote:The forum being "dead" may have more to do with there being very little "official" involvement from anyone involved with the PVC infrastructure in the Church. Not much reason to post questions, when the only replies are other users having the same issues.

Please note, this is not necessarily a complaint, more of an observation. I don't expect church employees to spend time perusing these message boards in case that there is a question they can answer. Just realize that this is mainly a user board and unless the question you have can be answered by another general user, it probably isn't going to be answered.
Well over 90% of the questions posed on this forum are answered by other users. There are plenty of forum sections with high levels of activity and many helpful responses that have little or no participation by Church employees. So I don't think your theory about the reasons for little activity in this forum is particularly valid.

User-to-user support is the purpose for the existence of the LDSTech Forum -- any participation by Church employees is a bonus, which we appreciate, but is not essential to the purpose and effectiveness of LDSTech.

There have been 13 posts in this forum this year, 2 of which were from a Church employee. Also note that PVC is frequently discussed in other forums, so the traffic in this particular forum does not come close to reflecting the total PVC activity on LDSTech.

Return to “Personal Video Conferencing”