Using official hardware webcomunicator

Discussions around receiving, originating, and holding Church broadcasts and conferences in meetinghouses including schedules, setup, equipment, and support.
stephen500

Using official hardware webcomunicator

Post by stephen500 »

Can we create subtitles, for hymn numbers or any thing else by adding an input to the webcomunicator?
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Re: Using official hardware webcomunicator

Post by Mikerowaved »

The church's Webcast Communicator is not setup to perform any kind of video titling. Video processing like that can be quite involved and would have to be done prior to the signal reaching the Communicator.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jasonhill23
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jasonhill23 »

The webcast communicator does not support any video titling. However, we are developing a brand new webcast environment. We plan to have at least 4 different methods to encode the stream. One of those methods is Wirecast by Telestream, which will support video titling. To learn more, go to http://www.telestream.net/wirecast/overview.htm. Keep in mind, this plan is not finalized, the technology will not be available for quite sometime, and everything is subject to change.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jasonhill23 wrote:Keep in mind, this plan is not finalized, the technology will not be available for quite sometime, and everything is subject to change.
Due to a change in the meeting house, it looks like my stake will be webcasting starting with the next conference in mid-November. Any chance this will be ready to go the "new" route by then?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
inventor96

Post by inventor96 »

It's not an official church thing by any means, but our stake uses the Marquee feature in VLC, and we control it via a simple TCP connection. One of our previous Stake Techs (known as cboling on this forum) wrote VLyriC -- a program to handle the TCP connection and simplify the process of utilizing VLC.
Our stake isn't spread out enough to need webcasting, so I don't know what to recommend for combining this with a webcast setup, but the links below may have some ideas regarding that...

Here is his topic in the LDS Tech Forums.

This is the page on his site about our setup.

Because he now has (an)other calling(s) and isn't particularly available to continue development/up-keep on the program, I volunteered to do so, at least until I leave on my mission (and probably afterwards, too). The only issue is that he wrote it in Delphi 5 -- which I'm unfamiliar with -- so I'm currently re-writing it in C#. I'll post an update here when I'm finished, and cboling said he'll update his site with my version if it's good. (Encouragement to do my best, right? ;))

Edit: It seems that some of the 'required' marquee features were broken in VLC 2.1.x, so we currently have VLC 2.0.8 on a Windows laptop. I'd like to install 2.0.9, but I'm not having too much luck finding the installer for it. Unless I find 2.0.9, the installer for 2.0.8 will be available in the new VLyriC.
inventor96

Post by inventor96 »

FYI, I've finished the new VLyriC. You can find it on Source Forge here.
Enjoy!

Return to “Broadcasts and Conferences”