Calendar Scheduling Problems

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
cowvet

Re: Calendar Scheduling Problems

Post by cowvet »

russellhltn wrote:It seems now that was never an intended functionality of the calendar system. Keep in mind that in order to work properly, each unit must be able to schedule their own events. Having the building scheduler do it, even if it's only for weekends, isn't going to work out too well. All I can suggest is "letting go" and have the units call you to referee if there is a problem. It's either that or control them by setting restrictions and modifying them as needed.
Pity, that they changed it. It actually has worked out very well in our Stake since the Church gave us the new calendar a few years ago. When I set up the location for the Stake Center in the calendar, I set up Tuesdays to Thursdays for the 3 different Wards which used the building. Each was given blocks of time distributed equally during the month out of the available Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. Fridays and weekends in the Stake Center are different since we have 5 other Wards which want to use the building or the Ramada next to it for various purposes (they are not listed on the location, I would have to add them so they could schedule events) This is because they use "Sage" plan buildings with very small cultural halls. We also have numerous individuals and groups such as the BSA which utilize the building and the Ramada next to it on Fridays and Saturdays. (No way to set up blocks of time for outside groups with the current system). I found in the past that opening up the scheduling on the weekend led to a certain level of anarchy (This is when I first took over being the scheduler for the Stake Center in addition to being the Stake Clerk). I became less a "building scheduler" and more a "building conflict mediator". The Stake President decided to return to the setup where only one person could schedule for the weekends in the Stake Center. I do have the other Ward buildings set up with open restrictions on the weekend like you suggest since they are utilized to a far less degree and it works fine.
I guess if it is decided to not at least give a category in the restrictions (along with the "blocked - location not available or the units) which would allow only the designated building scheduler to set up events in certain blocks of time such as weekends, the best solution is to block the building on the weekend and utilize a paper calendar to schedule weekend events. Then just list it on the correct Stake calendar with "location other".
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

cowvet wrote:the best solution is to block the building on the weekend and utilize a paper calendar to schedule weekend events. Then just list it on the correct Stake calendar with "location other".
Seems like you could just edit your restriction and then add the event normally.

One thing I'm not getting from your method is how you're able to schedule different wards and have the event appear on their calendar. I'm suspecting you're not.

And just as a heads up, the functionality of "blocked" is going to change. It's going to behave more like an event than a restriction.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
cowvet

Post by cowvet »

russellhltn wrote:Seems like you could just edit your restriction and then add the event normally.
I did that for a while on the weekend Calendar when Wards wanted to be able to post the event on the Ward Calendar. I would have to go to the restriction, delete it for the day, then set the times open for the Ward, then re-block the rest of the times in the day to prevent others from trying to schedule events without authorization. It was a big hassle, so I just had the Wards make the event on their calendars with "location other" and then they added "Stake Center". I would then record the event on a private calendar at LDS.org I keep for weekend scheduling with the building selected and whatever rooms they wanted to use. The private calendar was because there are many individuals that did not want the entire Stake to see an event they were planning such as weddings and family reunions.
russellhltn wrote:One thing I'm not getting from your method is how you're able to schedule different wards and have the event appear on their calendar. I'm suspecting you're not.
Nope, I do not worry about the Ward level calendars. They do their own scheduling on their own calendars on weekdays when the building is reserved for their use. On weekends I use both methods described above to accommodate whether they are happy to us the "other location" or if they really want to put in the location and rooms. It seemed the best compromise with all the scheduling on weekends that I do for individuals, Stake organizations and outside groups utilizing the building. The "other location" is really useful at the end of the year when all the Wards in the Stake make reservations for their Christmas parties at the Stake Center. The majority of the Wards in the Stake are not listed on the location "Stake Center" (they are listed in their own buildings) so it is very simple for them to record the event on their own calendars with that designation.
russellhltn wrote:And just as a heads up, the functionality of "blocked" is going to change. It's going to behave more like an event than a restriction.
I'm intrigued, can you elaborate on how that will work? I would like to understand better so I can make the best use of it for the future. Thank you for your correspondence regarding the calendar. I am very glad to learn from others experience using it and like to be able to see ideas I can incorporate into how we are working with the calendar here.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

cowvet wrote:
russellhltn wrote:And just as a heads up, the functionality of "blocked" is going to change. It's going to behave more like an event than a restriction.
I'm intrigued, can you elaborate on how that will work?
As you've discovered, you can't put an event on top of "blocked". Soon, you won't be able to put "blocked" on top of an event. Just as two events cannot conflict with each other, events and "blocked" will not be allowed to conflict with each other.

I just wanted to warn you in case you develop a new method only to get frustrated when the next release hits production.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
cowvet

Post by cowvet »

Thanks for the heads up. I'll set up things to work around that. I wonder, is there a way to shoot a petition to the people working on the calendar coding to give us the ability to set for location restrictions not just units and "blocked" but also the listed building scheduler? That would seem to fix all the issues we have experienced and also give a very useful tool to Stakes to help prevent conflicts occurring at buildings.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

cowvet wrote:is there a way to shoot a petition to the people working on the calendar coding
I don't think "petition" works. But I did forward your post describing what happens at your stake center, since it seems you tried it and it didn't work.

I guess the question I'd have is how is doing it via a Building Scheduler different from "first come, first served" or starting with pre-set set-asides? Seems like you'd have the same situation where someone comes in first but someone else then wants it. The calendar systems isn't a replacement for setting rules and expectations. Could you set rules and expectations about how they schedule themselves? Yes, you'd be "conflict mediator", but as long as they're mostly playing well, that would be less work than "scheduler".

davidrichey

Post by davidrichey »

jeffevannelson wrote:
davidrichey wrote:Jeffevanelson: I am the executive secretary, therefore a default administrator and have assigned myself, in the system, as the building scheduler for our stake center. Up until a few weeks ago I have been able to restrict rooms and schedule rooms when creating events on one of the stake calendars. A couple of weeks ago that changed. I can only create an event on a stake calendar that uses "no location". The names of the buildings and rooms show up in the selection box. If I add a room(or building) to the reservation, I get a spinning wheel and the event is not "saved". If I go to the restriction calendar, I cannot restrict the room or building. All I see is the spinning wheel. It doesn't matter if I use FireFox or Chrome-same result. Like I said, I have been doing this since the new functions were available on lds.org. Something in the last couple of weeks has changed and it is not my computer or browser or rights.
i sent you a private PM to get your info.
I just discovered my issue is just with one building. I am can schedule/reserve rooms in other buildings in my stake just not the stake center. It doesn't matter what day I try to schedule/reserve a room and I have checked to make sure no restrictions exist that day. What can be wrong with the set-up of this building in the database? Or is it something else?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

davidrichey wrote:I just discovered my issue is just with one building. I am can schedule/reserve rooms in other buildings in my stake just not the stake center. It doesn't matter what day I try to schedule/reserve a room and I have checked to make sure no restrictions exist that day. What can be wrong with the set-up of this building in the database? Or is it something else?
It's most likely something messed up in the database and you'll have to work with jeffevannelson to get it fixed.

davidrichey

Post by davidrichey »

Jeffevannelson: I have sent 3 PM's on this issue. Have you not received them?
nbarss

Post by nbarss »

Our stake is experiencing the same issue as described above - no-one can schedule or move anything in one of the building (the stake center.) The other buildings work fine. When I try (using Chrome on Windows 7) I get the eternal spinner, regardless of whether I'm trying to edit an existing event, schedule a new event, or whether there is an existing "block" on that time slot or not. We can see the calendar, but we can't touch it.
Our stake building scheduler has tried on firefox, chrome & IE with the same results, however he indicates that he gets an error message "the resource is unavailable" (or something close to that.)
Other users in the stake have emailed me with the same complaints.

This all started 2 weeks ago (around May 15 as reported by other users above.) Please help!
Our stake uses the calendar system as follows:
1. At the beginning of the year, priesthood leaders set up a weekly schedule for the building. (Mutual nights, RS Meetings, Cub Pack meetings, etc.)
2. The stake building schedule inputs restrictions according to the leaders' schedule so that only the wards allocated can schedule their events. For example, if the 2nd ward has mutual on Tuesday nights, the restriction is set so that only the 2nd ward can schedule events.
3. The individual ward leaders then reserve locations as they put events on the calendar, so if YW leaders try to schedule the gym for a night that is theirs, they are allowed, but if they try to schedule a night that is not theirs, the will be blocked.

This has worked well for us for 2 full years.

Anyway - we have lost the ability to schedule the stake center. What can be done/changed so that we can access it again? Also, why is only 1 of our buildings affected?

This has been happenign for 2 weeks.

Return to “Calendar”