Repurposing the modulated jacks

Discussions around the satellite system and video distribution.
aclawson

Repurposing the modulated jacks

Post by aclawson »

Until the new standards come out we are reliant on external tuners to get a satellite or internal camera image into a projector to throw up onto the screens. The tuners are getting harder and harder to find - and more expensive - and just not worth the expense or the additional point of failure, and the VCRs current pressed into service for this are now well over 20 years old and will continue to die off one by one.

Our stake center has three modulators - satellite a/v on channel 3, internal camera with internal audio on channel 6, and satellite video with Spanish language on channel 10 which I have never seen used even a single time. Instead of the modulated F connection that requires cable --> tuner --> cable --> projector I'd like to swap in an RCA composite video jack that allows us to go straight to the projector, using the AVDH-1's selector switch to set that specific port to carry either the satellite signal (general conference, Christmas devotional, other church-wide events) or the camera feed.

Has anybody tried this and gotten it to work?
drepouille

Re: Repurposing the modulated jacks

Post by drepouille »

I raised a similar issue here: https://tech.lds.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=151&t=18775#

In our stake center, we have an output composite video RCA jack on the podium for a projector, an input composite video RCA jack in the overflow for a camera, and an RF coaxial output jack in the cultural hall, RS room, Primary room, YW room, and high council room.

I would like to have an output composite video RCA jack in the cultural hall. For now, I need to use an RF-to-RCA converter for the projector in the cultural hall.

My ultimate dream is to have a projector mounted in the ceiling of the chapel, but I am not sure what would be the best type of cable and jack to use.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

Which RF to RCA converter do you use and how do you tune it?

We had an input composite RCA jack in the overflow but we reversed that for video output since the camera is now permanently mounted 25 feet off the floor and we just tapped into that cable.

FM said that projectors may not be mounted to the ceiling in chapels.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

I just use a VCR to convert RF to composite video, but I really like aebrown's suggestion of a Sabrent Stand Alone TV Tuner Box.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aclawson wrote:Instead of the modulated F connection that requires cable --> tuner --> cable --> projector I'd like to swap in an RCA composite video jack that allows us to go straight to the projector, using the AVDH-1's selector switch to set that specific port to carry either the satellite signal (general conference, Christmas devotional, other church-wide events) or the camera feed.
First: What do you do about audio? Are these jacks only used in rooms that are covered by the sound system? Keep in mind that modern TV sets may have a processing delay that could cause audio/visual sync issues.

Second: While they use the same cable, they're wired differently. The idea would only work if each jack had a "home run" back to the video cabnet. RF distribution frequenly employs splitters and taps that will not work on base-band video. You'd also need an active vido distribution amp in the cabnet.

Last: the equipment is part of the building and falls under the FM group. It probably wouldn't be a good idea to do such extensive modifications.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

These jacks are indeed only in rooms covered by the sound system.

An active video distribution amp isn't a problem - if the splitters need to be replaced we can do that.

I am working with the FM group exploring options. Within a couple of years (we hope) there will be a new standard released and the building will be receiving a complete rewiring and upgrade but until then we need to get things working as best as we can. Our building is old enough that we don't have a video input in the chapel for example - to get somebody's laptop presentation up on the screen in the gym so everybody can see it requires pointing the camera at the screen at the front of the chapel. It works if the presentation uses large fonts, but not ideal.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

drepouille wrote:In our stake center, we have an output composite video RCA jack on the podium...

I would like to have an output composite video RCA jack in the cultural hall.
When our stake center was rewired a few years back, they added two composite video RCA jacks; one near the front of the chapel on the side wall and one in the cultural hall. What a blessing that was! Setting up for a broadcast now involves running a 25' RCA cable to each of the projectors and switching the sound system over to satellite at the podium. Done.

I fought with VCR's (and missing remotes) for years also, so I know where you're coming from. Maybe you can politely suggest that next time they are in your building pulling cables they can string an extra RG-59 to the cultural hall.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aclawson wrote:if the splitters need to be replaced we can do that.
You can't use a passive splitter on a video signal. And chances are the box isn't big enough for a active splitter (aka small distribution amp).

So you'd be stuck re-running the wiring so every jack has it's own run back to the cabinet where it can go it it's own jack on a active video distribution amp.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

Return to “Satellite”