MLS 3.7.4_23478 Callings/ organizations issues

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Re: MLS 3.7.4_23478 Callings/ organizations issues

Post by scgallafent »

CDOL no longer has a single adult organization at the ward/branch level, so it does not appear in MLS. Because there isn't a corresponding organization, there isn't a tab displayed in MLS.

You can generate a list of single adults from LCR.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

scgallafent wrote:You can generate a list of single adults from LCR.
Or use the Custom Reports option in MLS as we used to do, at least for the time being.

Thanks for the update. Another case of following the Handbook. Funny how that works.
rpyne

Post by rpyne »

I just sat down and went through the callings in MLS and I am not seeing the Relief Society Sub-organizations, I am not seeing the Young Single Adult sub-organization under "Other."

Another issue that is a problem is that the "Callings by Organization" report no longer shows what class Primary and Sunday School Teachers are assigned. This information is important for ward planning.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

rpyne wrote:I just sat down and went through the callings in MLS and I am not seeing the Relief Society Sub-organizations, I am not seeing the Young Single Adult sub-organization under "Other."
You won't see the new Relief Society sub-organizations in MLS. They exist (I checked your unit's backup to be sure), but MLS doesn't expose them in the user interface. You can see them in LCR.

Young Single Adult are under "Single Members" in the Adults panel.
rpyne wrote:Another issue that is a problem is that the "Callings by Organization" report no longer shows what class Primary and Sunday School Teachers are assigned. This information is important for ward planning.
I suspect you're referring to the fact that all of the positions that were similar to "Primary Teacher--CTR 7" have been collapsed to "Primary Teacher" and the positions similar to "Sunday School Teacher--Course 17" have been collapsed to "Sunday School Teacher." This was an intentional change. You can see the actual class assignments by looking at the Other Callings list for Primary/Sunday School or looking at the corresponding report in LCR.

The old callings made it difficult to move a teacher between classes. If you assigned a Primary teacher as "Primary Teacher--CTR 7" and later moved that teacher to a different class, you had to delete the calling and enter a new row with the changed data. There was existing functionality to manage class assignments in MLS besides the separate callings. Class assignments are now managed exclusively using the assignments and the list of callings has been flattened.
rpyne

Post by rpyne »

No, I am referring to the calling being "Primary Teacher" and the Class being "CTR 4". It is very important that the class show in the callings report(s).

The old callings made it so parents and leaders could easily see who was teaching which class.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

rpyne wrote:No, I am referring to the calling being "Primary Teacher" and the Class being "CTR 4". It is very important that the class show in the callings report(s).
Duplicated and logged. We've started the beta for MLS 3.8.0, so this won't be fixed in that release.

The class information is included in the Callings by Organization report on LCR, so you've got access to the data on that report. It is still on the Primary and Sunday School tabs, but that requires printing multiple reports. My suggestion is to start working with the LCR report, since that's where we are headed in the long term.

Class assignments are already available in LDS Tools. I expect they will eventually make their way to Directory, but I haven't looked at their backlog to see if/when that is scheduled to happen.
rpyne

Post by rpyne »

Until LCR has all of the functionality of MLS, it is a total waste of time to try and remember which functionality is where. For example, LCR does not have the ability to print class rolls starting on any month. This is imperative for wards with high turnover. My ward has an average 40% annual turnover for the last 10 years. It is extremely rare to not have any move ins or outs during any given week, let alone month.

I understand that it take time to implement all of the functionality in LCR, but please don't take it away from MLS in the mean time.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”