LDS Tools directory shows birth year and age

Discussions around the Android version of the Member Tools application
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: LDS Tools directory shows birth year and age

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:I have to enter a pin every time I start LDS Tools.
I know you do. :) I'm talking about the leaders that now have expanded access to personal information.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jokamura

Post by jokamura »

If you've been using the beta, this is old news and actually follows what we see on LCR now with the expanded access.

It's actually the birth date and age that we're seeing on LCR so it makes sense to see the same in LDS Tools too.

Now if they would only add in the priesthood office, we'd be set!
"Accept what you can't change, and change what you can't accept, but know the difference between the two."
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jokamura wrote:Now if they would only add in the priesthood office, we'd be set!
I wouldn't expect that for all leaders, but I would for bishopric and quorum leaders.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
unbobfinch

Post by unbobfinch »

I've got to say, I was pretty pissed when I opened lds tools and I could see birth dates and ages listed. I immediately looked for an opt out in the account settings. I'd prefer that the whole ward not have access to all of my info. In my opinion, quorum leaders and counselors do not need this info!! I was also pretty mad when I discovered someone in my ward thought it was ok to enter my mobile phone number into the system without my approval. Who am I supposed to contact with my complaints?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

unbobfinch wrote:I've got to say, I was pretty pissed when I opened lds tools and I could see birth dates and ages listed.
What an individual sees is based on their calling. What is your calling? Can you see birth dates and ages for members who are NOT under your stewardship given your calling?
unbobfinch wrote:I was also pretty mad when I discovered someone in my ward thought it was ok to enter my mobile phone number into the system without my approval.
That would have to be some one in the Bishopric/clerk. Quorum and auxiliary leaders do not have the ability to enter them. I'd voice your objection to the bishop.

unbobfinch

Post by unbobfinch »

1st counselor in the young men presidency. I can see every birthdate and age for the whole ward. I don't need this info. and I don't think anyone really needs it on their mobile device. Opt in/out should be available for virtually all of this info.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

unbobfinch wrote:1st counselor in the young men presidency. I can see every birthdate and age for the whole ward.
I haven't been told how it's supposed to work, but that surprises me.

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

unbobfinch wrote:I'd prefer that the whole ward not have access to all of my info. In my opinion, quorum leaders and counselors do not need this info!!
I would use the Feedback link on the main LDS.org page. While you may not get any personal acknowledgment, it goes get to those in charge.

LesnKC

Post by LesnKC »

I can see everyones age if I access the directory on my Android, but not on my pc. I'm a counselor in YW, so I don't need that info. Actually, I don't understand why anyone would need it.
Personally, I do not want anyone seeing my age. I don't mind people knowing my birthday, but I do not want my year of birth or my age visible to anyone.
I just submitted a Feedback form and will post the reply when it comes.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

unbobfinch wrote:I've got to say, I was pretty pissed when I opened lds tools and I could see birth dates and ages listed. I immediately looked for an opt out in the account settings. I'd prefer that the whole ward not have access to all of my info. In my opinion, quorum leaders and counselors do not need this info!! I was also pretty mad when I discovered someone in my ward thought it was ok to enter my mobile phone number into the system without my approval. Who am I supposed to contact with my complaints?
Go into the directory online and remove it, it will remove it in MLS as well.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Return to “Android Member Tools App”