Newsletter Admin Privileges timeout?

Discussions about the Newsletter Tool at LDS.org.
mevans

Re: Newsletter Admin Privileges timeout?

Post by mevans »

I couldn't make any sense out of it when I was looking at them previously. I was hoping maybe someone else would mention problems, but no mention has surfaced here.

We do know that the Newsletter code wasn't too familiar with the current developers. They recently got Admin working again and reported it took them a while to find the code to fix things. I don't know if that helpful developer is checking this forum regularly.

My only suggestion at the moment is to submit Feedback (if you haven't already done so) and point them to this thread for additional information. That's the only official way there is to get something to the developers.

If you're the only person reporting this, I fear that it's not going to be pretty low on the priority list of things to fix. But if you don't report it, it's not even on the list.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mevans wrote:I fear that it's not going to be pretty low on the priority list of things to fix.
Given all the changes going on and the move to push functionality to LCR, I think the newsletter is pretty low priority. The fact that it works and this is an annoyance makes it even lower.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
shem.simmons

Post by shem.simmons »

russellhltn wrote:The fact that it works and this is an annoyance makes it even lower.
It's an annoyance for people that know what's causing the problem, but the average user will just assume it plain doesn't work.
mevans

Post by mevans »

shem.simmons wrote:
russellhltn wrote:The fact that it works and this is an annoyance makes it even lower.
It's an annoyance for people that know what's causing the problem, but the average user will just assume it plain doesn't work.
Unfortunately, this is just a community forum and we try to help each other. We have no way for us to know how many people conclude it doesn't work, how many report it to Feedback, and how many come to this forum. Be sure to use the Feedback link to report this problem so it's at least been officially noted.

You're participating in a forum with others who actually use the tool. The fact that no one else has come forth on the thread observing this problem means the number of people church-wide who encounter the problem is probably limited. I could be way off on that guess, but when there's a problem affecting many users, it tends to get discussed here and others confirm they also experience the problem. If there appears to be a significant widespread problem, the forum moderators seem to have a way to contact the developers at the church so that they are aware, but my observation is they're very careful in deciding when that is warranted.

I see you're a newer member on the forums. I don't want you to get discouraged. Things don't tend to happen quickly with church development. But, now you know know some things about how the Newsletter works that 99.9999% of church members don't know. You can use your knowledge to help others in these forums. I hope you'll stick around and participate.
qpeterson

Post by qpeterson »

I am having the same issue. When I clear my cookies, my admin privileges return. Just thought I'd put it on here for the record that this isn't an isolated instance. I imagine as more people discover and begin to try to use the "Newsletter" function, more people will experience the same issue.
shem.simmons

Post by shem.simmons »

Glad to hear I'm not the only one, make sure you also submit feedback using the feedback link in the help section on lds.org and link to this discussion.
RichardGamble

Post by RichardGamble »

I also have the same problem.
shem.simmons

Post by shem.simmons »

It's been many months and this is still an issue. I've submitted feedback once again.

Return to “Newsletter”