Sacrament Tools

So you have the BIG idea that the Church or community needs to develop. Discuss that idea here. Maybe you just want to make a suggestion on a new forum topic. Let us know.
AdrianLP-p40

Post by AdrianLP-p40 »

Ok.

Now just be warned that you'll need your own host that allows you to use PHP5 (I use proper class visibilities), and MySQL (although you can change my DB class to use whatever syntax you want).

I'll look at the scripts over the next few days and make them distributable.

Also, I've used these scripts for years (I wrote them while in branch presidency, so I guess they must be going on 4 years old). I wasn't paid so they might be a bit clumsy in places, and the design might be lacking. I like to think my coding habits and design have drastically improved over the last few years) :)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

AdrianLP wrote:The public doesn't / can't use this site. The only data that is stored is names (as manually typed by branch/ward presidencies), dates, and hymn names. We're not storing or using record numbers or anything of that nature.
If you haven't done so, you might want to go back and read similar discussions we've had in the past. While what you describe sounds safe, safe is in the eyes of the beholder. In this case you have leaders typing in the names of members into a on-line system. The members are not entering their own name - they have no say. And it's being placed in an area (on-line) that has potential for being hacked. And it's being done so by church leaders.

If I remember the discussions correctly, if this was a 3rd party server, the answer would be "no". The fact it's under the control of the leaders is the only thing that gives it hope.
AdrianLP-p40

Post by AdrianLP-p40 »

RussellHltn wrote:The members are not entering their own name - they have no say. And it's being placed in an area (on-line) that has potential for being hacked. And it's being done so by church leaders.
Whose to say they are not running it on private computers without internet access?

Just because its on a webserver, doesn't mean its on a publicly accessible computer.

Also: Names aren't confidential.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

AdrianLP wrote:Whose to say they are not running it on private computers without internet access?

Just because its on a webserver, doesn't mean its on a publicly accessible computer.

Also: Names aren't confidential.
If it's on a private machine, then there's no problem.

While names are not confidential, their association with the church can be.
oscarschultz

Sacrament Tools

Post by oscarschultz »

AdrianLP wrote:So a few years back I wrote a PHP/MySQL site that allowed a branch president to manage his sacrament meetings. He could record who would speak, their topics, who gave prayers, business, announcements, etc. Then he could view reports of the last date members spoke, gave prayers, when hymns were sung. And of course the site has different access levels. Pianists/choristers/music leaders can see the sacrament theme, and view and/or edit the hymns, the bulletin coordinator can see enough that they can create a bulletin, etc. Naturally only branch presidencies can view past/future business, assign prayers/speakers, and the like. Nobody can see information they shoud not have. On Sundays a Printer Friendly page allows branch presidencies to print off the meeting, carry it into church with them, and they have their bulletin containing all they need right in front of them.

Over the years this tool has been adopted by my district.

I think an official tool like this would be a wonderful idea. The branch presidents in my district seem to love it.

This is a wonderful idea. Any tool to help make Sacrament Meeting better (improving the flow and consistency) would be a blessing.

For those who worry about "a website" consider using ONLY the address 127.0.0.1. The software could still be HTML/browser based and be a tool to assist those to setup particular meeting. If this was setup on the Ward/Stake/??? computer with correctly configured firewalls & network access the user interface being "web"would have no more meaning (security wise) than MLS using the windows api interface.
With a 127.0.0.1 the user still must be on the local machine to have access.
AdrianLP-p40

Post by AdrianLP-p40 »

I've not forgotten those who asked for a copy. I've just been extremely busy, sick, the whole ten yards.

Before I distribute the code I want to read over the source and ensure I didn't hard code any sensitive data. I don't think I did, but still.

Oh, and I'll check the comments too, some days are more frustrating then others :)
AdrianLP-p40

Post by AdrianLP-p40 »

Sorry this post was so long in coming. Here are the file:

http://mormon.mine.nu/website.zip

When you downlad/extract the file, please read the README.txt file that it contains.

I had a bad habit of manually manipulating the database, so some tools that might be nice are missing (like a web-interface for creating new branches). Nothing that can't be done easily.

Please note that passwords are stored encrypted. If you want to manually convert a value to a password, just call PHP crypt() on it. For example, if you want a password named "mypass", just do:

<?php print crypt("mypass"); ?>

Don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.
AdrianLP-p40

Post by AdrianLP-p40 »

Just found a silly bug.

lib_church.php

In the makeKey function, edit the return statement to simply be: return $newKey;

The key is stored in a varchar(20) field. Previously $newKey could be up to 20 characters, plus the few characters it appended on (which were put there as a test).

Anyway, in the return statement, remove the string that is appended too $newKey.

I've started using ZendMail (http://framework.zend.com/manual/en/zend.mail.html) so I changed method send_email() in class_Email.php to send mail using Zend, as opposed to php's built in mail function. The previous way works, but is a bit ugly.
eyoshicl-p40

Solution in Google Docs

Post by eyoshicl-p40 »

A few months ago a member of my bishopric had a great idea to plan sacrament meetings. He made Google Excel sheet and shared it with those that planned sacrament meeting. That way only those with a need to know had access, and we had the ability to remove and/or add viewers or collaborators at will. Hope this helps.
AdrianLP-p40

Post by AdrianLP-p40 »

AdrianLP wrote:Sorry this post was so long in coming. Here are the file:

http://mormon.mine.nu/website.zip

Someone just recently alerted me to the fact that this is no longer a valid web address. mormon.mine.nu has a new host now (same web address, hosted by a different physical server).

I'll try and get my password resent post-haste, recompress the website, and make the download available once more at http://mormon.mine.nu/website.zip

Should I forget, someone feel free to bug me about it via private message.

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”