Speedtest via tm.lds.org firewall

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
CleggGP
Church Employee
Church Employee

Re: Speedtest via tm.lds.org firewall

Post by CleggGP »

As a reminder, users should test Internet speed (both wired and wireless) from a computer connected to the meetinghouse network (inside the building). Currently it is unknown whether the "Execute Speed Test" tool will be available in TM in the future.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Yesterday, I ran a few speed tests, some with my laptop connected directly to the cable modem, some with my laptop connected to port 1 on the 881W firewall with my wireless adapter disabled, and some with my laptop connected to the 881W using wireless.

I also used both the Cox speed test (while logged in to my personal Cox account), and the speed test on speedtest.net. As you might expect, the highest speeds (169mbps down, 53mbps up) were achieved using the Cox speed test while connected directly to the Cox cable modem. The lowest speeds (30mbps down, 15mbps up) were using wireless and speedtest.net.

Although it is tempting to run my next PVC while connected directly to the cable modem, I realize that the software firewall on my laptop is probably weaker than a hardware firewall provided by a router/firewall device. Perhaps I will use one of my spare routers, rather than the 881W, which definitely slows things down due to the VPN tunnel.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

drepouille wrote:...some with my laptop connected to port 1 on the 881W firewall...
I'm curious what these results were.
drepouille wrote:The lowest speeds (30mbps down, 15mbps up) were using wireless and speedtest.net.
Yep, wireless speed testing is going to max out far sooner than a wired connection.
drepouille wrote:Although it is tempting to run my next PVC while connected directly to the cable modem, I realize that the software firewall on my laptop is probably weaker than a hardware firewall provided by a router/firewall device. Perhaps I will use one of my spare routers, rather than the 881W, which definitely slows things down due to the VPN tunnel.
Um, how fast a connection do you need for PVC? I don't think it would come close to maxing out even a 10-20Mbps connection. Any addition BW you squeeze out over that won't get used.

BTW, the VPN tunnel is only used by CHQ to access our firewall and building network. Our access to the Internet goes out through the building's ISP. Now there IS some filtering going on by way of destination checking, but that shouldn't slow it down very much.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

To echo the previous statement, the Internet connection for meetinghouses does not traverse the VPN back to CHQ to do filtering, or internet traffic. It uses your ISP and does all filtering over the Internet.

We successfully used PVC for audio/video using a 1.54Mbps line. There were only two on the call, but one time they were in Greece, and the other was in Russia.... smooth as anything. We did use ether in those cases with Wireless turned off in the meetinghouse.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Agreed. When our FM told me he had bumped Cox up to the 150 mbps max, I was surprised. I figure anything over 10 mbps down or 5 mbps up is cream. I did a PVC test with another stake last night. All the scouts and their leaders were in the stake center, and the wireless was enabled. The PVC connection was solid. We were concentrating on our audio and video wiring setup.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”