Dedicated Receive Site Equipment

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
stevei00

Dedicated Receive Site Equipment

Post by stevei00 »

The new Webcasting instructions suggests using: "Computer with a 4-core processor (8 cores is recommended)"
We are considering purchasing dedicated computers for our receive sites. Has anyone found an 8-core laptop or compact computer they would recommend? Does anyone have experience using a Mac Mini or Chromebook? We would like to find something fairly compact (mini pc or laptop) and reasonably priced, which has an ethernet and hdmi port. The simpler the configuration the better. We want to make it simple for users at remote buildings.
Aczlan

Re: Dedicated Receive Site Equipment

Post by Aczlan »

Is the 8 core for a send or a receive computer? We have been using older machines (Core 2 Duo and newer) without any real issues.
A chromebook (as I understand it) wont work with the new system as it doesnt have Silverlight.
You might look at the new "micro PCs" (such as the Dell Micro and similar HP models). They are available for under $200 and would be great for this application.

Aaron Z
cmacfarlane

Post by cmacfarlane »

I wonder if the new Intel Compute Sticks would work. If so it would make for an extremely easy setup. Just plug the Compute Stick in to an HDMI port on the projector/monitor. There are still a few logistical issues like wanting a hard wired connection instead of wireless and ensuring a Bluetooth keyboard/mouse are available - but I think those can be overcome fairly easy. But at $150 for the Compute Stick it's worth a try.

Having said that, I don't have the latest "send side" equipment to do any of this testing. However, I do have a compute stick that I'd be willing to work with someone to do a few tests.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Aczlan wrote:Is the 8 core for a send or a receive computer? We have been using older machines (Core 2 Duo and newer) without any real issues.
Except you're limited to 500kbs under the new system. See New VidiU Webcast - Slow Receiving Laptops.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
stevei00

Post by stevei00 »

Is the 8 core for a send or a receive computer?
This is for the Receive site. There is no computer requirement for the broadcast site because you simply connect video and audio to the Teradek VidiU Encoder and then upload (via Internet) to the media server.

Of course, you will likely run a computer at the broadcast site to monitor performance and receive sites, but its not required. If you choose to also view the stream, you are just another Receive site. You also could run the Teradek mobile app. Here is a great video showing how it works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muFin1896vE
rolandc

Post by rolandc »

I would hold off buying anything including the Vidiu, they are constantly updating the portal and the Vidiu is going to be free to the Stakes that request it very soon.

Will still need several other pieces to the webcasting puzzle but we will take the free vidiu.
Roland
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

rolandc wrote:I would hold off buying anything including the Vidiu, they are constantly updating the portal and the Vidiu is going to be free to the Stakes that request it very soon.
Those with access will be interested in the Notice from the Information and Communications Services Department dated June 3, 2015, Meetinghouse Webcast Solution, which is published in the Official Communication Library and explains how the Vidiu will be made available to stakes. The Notice is addressed to all stake presidents, among others.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”