Returned Email From Webpage for Deceased Member!

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
margiestroble

Returned Email From Webpage for Deceased Member!

Post by margiestroble »

I just experienced something very strange so I thought I'd check this out on here if anyone else has encountered the same situation.

I did a quick search and did not find a post about this, so if I just didn't type in the right key word, I apologize for any duplicate post.

We had a member pass away sometime last year, or maybe it was about the 1st of this year, time flies by so quickly. Anyway, I just made some updates to the webpage and sent the notices to the ward. Well, as usual, I had a whole lot come back to me from people who have changed their email addresses and not going to the webpage and updating them. I have asked each one of them more than once if they would please log onto the ward webpage and update their profile, but, most of them have not done so, so I always get a whole lot of returned messages.

Today was the usual lots of returned messages and in one of them, there was the email address of a deceased member! I can't say that I remember seeing his being returned before, but I guess it has been doing that all along and I just didn't notice his name was included.

Why do you think that would happen? If someone is deceased and their records have been updated in Salt Lake and their name no longer appears on the webpage or on MLS, how could their email address be hanging out there somewhere and the software sending out messages to it?

Thanks for your time,
Margie
danpass

Post by danpass »

margiestroble wrote:If someone is deceased and their records have been updated in Salt Lake and their name no longer appears on the webpage or on MLS, how could their email address be hanging out there somewhere and the software sending out messages to it?
Does the deceased member have a surviving spouse or other family member? It's not uncommon for family members to share an email address.
margiestroble

Post by margiestroble »

danpass wrote:Does the deceased member have a surviving spouse or other family member? It's not uncommon for family members to share an email address.
The deceased passed away Dec 7, 2007 and did not have a surviving spouse. Nobody else shared the email address. I found his obit online as I wanted to know how long ago he passed away after I made my original post. I even double checked through all of the registered members just to make sure that there wasn't a mistake and someone else had his email address associated with their name. He was an elderly man and hadn't been to church in many years, yet he did register on the webpage.

Margie
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Has the death date been recorded on the membership record and the record sent to CHQ?

Even so, this may or may not solve the problem. I have noticed that members who move to address unknown still get broadcast messages from LUWS.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

What Larry said. I think there's a bug that members who "move" don't really move when you think they should. I assume you're a web page admin. Take a look at the "Registered Users" section of the ward admin screen. See if the user is still there. If they are, then perhaps you need to talk to the ward clerk to see that the record is updated.

Sometimes looking at the "Registered Users" will fix these kinds of problems.
margiestroble

Post by margiestroble »

Yes, I am the ward admin and I did look in the "Registered Users" area and the user is not there any longer. Yes, the ward clerk did notify CHQ when this member passed away. He is no longer on MLS or the webpage. His email address is just hanging out there somewhere.

Margie
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

margiestroble wrote:I did look in the "Registered Users" area and the user is not there any longer.
If the opportunity presents itself, try again. You may find the problem has been fixed. I'm remembering a thread from some time ago that seemed to find that looking at the Registered Users list triggered a clean-up that fixed the problem.
margiestroble

Post by margiestroble »

RussellHltn wrote:If the opportunity presents itself, try again. You may find the problem has been fixed. I'm remembering a thread from some time ago that seemed to find that looking at the Registered Users list triggered a clean-up that fixed the problem.
Ok, next time I send out a ward email from the webpage, I'll watch for his email in the returns emails. I have checked the Registered Users many times since this man passed away and his name has been gone from MLS and the webpage, but, I will post again after sending out another email. I'm not planning on doing that right away, but next time it is appropriate, I will do so and let you know if his comes back again.

Since he is no longer on the webpage, I can't try emailing him directly from the webpage.

Margie
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

margiestroble wrote:I have checked the Registered Users many times since this man passed away and his name has been gone from MLS and the webpage
That's not encouraging. You might want to send a email to MSRMail at ldsmail.net and give them the details of the situation.
margiestroble

Post by margiestroble »

RussellHltn wrote:That's not encouraging. You might want to send a email to MSRMail at ldsmail.net and give them the details of the situation.
Ok, thanks.
Margie

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”