How many access points?

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
michaelcox

Re: How many access points?

Post by michaelcox »

our building has a small 2nd story that has 6 class rooms, 3 on one side of a hallwall with WONDOORs and 3 on the otherside of the hallway with WONDOORs. at the end of each hallway is a door that goes into the attic. The Cisco 881 is located just inside the attic. We then have 4 1041 APs, two on each side of the building.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

I find it interesting that it depends on the building, etc... I only depends on the FM group and their decisions. In my new stake, the meetinghouses are all the same standard design, the 881 is above the RS/Primary rooms and 2 1041's are above the foyer. This leaves huge gaps in coverage. BTW, unlike others, in previous working with FM in other areas, THIS is more the standard I've seen.. At most, there are 2 additional WAP beyond the 881. If this is going to be the standard then bring them down to the hallway, if they are in the hallway they provide the coverage needed, but up in the attic it is insufficient.

Anway, I ran through the buildings with a heat-map, showed that the biggest gaps were in the YW/YM areas and the SP approved us talking to FM about expanding coverage, so we're looking at a couple of things. The 881W kinda killed us for expectations....and FM that will not bring the WAP's into the hallway will often purcahse 2 WAP in the corners to get the coverage up.

that's my experience.

PS anyone who says that a particular group doesn't need wifi is just not thinking strategically enough. Cover the building so those behind you or several years from now don't need to fix something that was determined not to be needed.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

johnshaw wrote:PS anyone who says that a particular group doesn't need wifi is just not thinking strategically enough.
I didn't worry about the bathrooms, but I did try to cover everything else.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
harddrive

Post by harddrive »

I will add to my earlier post. In one building that is all stick built, I put a 3rd WAP in. In the building that is being built, I'm going to add a 3rd WAP because the two on the 2nd floor isn't enough to cover the bishop's office.

Now, I recently had to replace an 881W in one of my buildings. I discovered that the church is no longer carrying the 881W they are now C881 without the wireless built in. So if you are using the 881W as a 3rd or even 4th WAP, then you might think about what you will do if you lose the 881W and have to replace it. In the building that did happen to, I had to add a WAP. I have a building or two that will have that issue.
michaelcox

Post by michaelcox »

Our building started with just 2 APs. We worked with FM to add more to cover the WiFi dead spots.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

With the recent Firewall upgrade, our FM Group manager added extra LAN sockets and cables (Fire Alarms etc.), which included the provision to add a WAP in the area presently covered by the 881W.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

russellhltn wrote:
johnshaw wrote:PS anyone who says that a particular group doesn't need wifi is just not thinking strategically enough.
I didn't worry about the bathrooms, but I did try to cover everything else.
Lots of decisions have been made in bathrooms, I'd hate to limit the resources that a Bishop or Stake President might need while contemplating them in that very important place of solace.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”