Issue with display of Stake 'Other Callings' when viewing lds.org directory

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
ericb

Re: Issue with display of Stake 'Other Callings' when viewing lds.org directory

Post by ericb »

jonesrk wrote:... I'll be looking at fixing it in the next few days.
I just looked at 'Other Callings' under Stake Leaders and Organizations for our stake and noticed all sub-categories are now gone. What I see is a very long list of callings with similar ones listed together, but as a whole in no particular order -- in the case of our stake, the list has 67 callings. I'm wondering if the sub-categories will come back (as in place in LDS Tools and LCR), as a long flat list is a bit cumbersome to view.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

ericb wrote:
jonesrk wrote:... I'll be looking at fixing it in the next few days.
I just looked at 'Other Callings' under Stake Leaders and Organizations for our stake and noticed all sub-categories are now gone. What I see is a very long list of callings with similar ones listed together, but as a whole in no particular order -- in the case of our stake, the list has 67 callings. I'm wondering if the sub-categories will come back (as in place in LDS Tools and LCR), as a long flat list is a bit cumbersome to view.
The same thing now happens for "Other Callings" at the ward level as well.

If I understand jonesrk correctly, the problem is that the code in the Directory is older and doesn't properly handle the new two-level structure for callings, whereas LDS Tools and LCR have had their code updated along the way to adapt to the new structure. Once the Directory code gets updated, you'll see the subcategories under Other Callings (e.g., Family History, Technology, Music), just like you do in LCR and LDS Tools.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

aebrown wrote: If I understand jonesrk correctly, the problem is that the code in the Directory is older and doesn't properly handle the new two-level structure for callings, whereas LDS Tools and LCR have had their code updated along the way to adapt to the new structure.
That is correct
aebrown wrote: IOnce the Directory code gets updated, you'll see the subcategories under Other Callings (e.g., Family History, Technology, Music), just like you do in LCR and LDS Tools.
My original suggestion a few years ago was that the callings on the right be grouped by the next level, that would have put the primary teachers together in the classes they taught as well as now showing the subcategories now in Other Callings. But another viable option would be listing the subcategories underneath the main category in the middle column (at least for the currently selected one).
mevans

Post by mevans »

Aside from Other Callings > Other Callings, I still haven't seen an explanation of why so many things moved under "Other Callings" in the first place. They used to be in top-level organizations and now so much stuff is buried in "Other Callings." It's more difficult to find things now. For example, when I look under our stake "Other Callings" there are more than 60 callings bundled together. It's not easy to use.

Since this isn't the official forum to submit such things, I just submitted feedback. Gee, maybe I'll get asked to take the directory survey again and will remember this in my feedback.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

mevans wrote:Aside from Other Callings > Other Callings, I still haven't seen an explanation of why so many things moved under "Other Callings" in the first place.
This is just guess but all of the other top level organizations are now real organizations of the ward which generally have a presidency (or equivalent) and are represented on the ward council. The 'organizations' under 'Other Callings' are really just categories of callings, most of which serve the entire ward.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mevans wrote:Aside from Other Callings > Other Callings, I still haven't seen an explanation of why so many things moved under "Other Callings" in the first place. They used to be in top-level organizations and now so much stuff is buried in "Other Callings."
There are already 10 top-level organizations. I can certainly imagine that that was considered to be quite enough for the top-level list; adding new organizations under Other Callings allows for expansion without making the top-level list unwieldy.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”