Many of my journal entries in notes appear on a single date

Discussions about the Notes and Journal tool on LDS.org. This includes the Study Toolbar as well as the scriptures and other content on LDS.org that is integrated with Notes and Journal.
cleanflix

Many of my journal entries in notes appear on a single date

Post by cleanflix »

I went and looked back at an old journal entry to see when something occurred. I looked at the context of the journal entry and realized that it was saved under the wrong date. I looked further and found that many of my journal entries say 6/21/2015 when they were recorded a year or two previous to that date. Anyone know why this is happening?
mevans

Re: Many of my journal entries in notes appear on a single date

Post by mevans »

I believe if you alter a note that the date gets changed to the current date. That could be something as simple as changing the highlight color or correcting a typo. Highlighting seems to be broken for me this morning, so I can't test that for sure. Could that explain the date changes you see?
lmcguire

Post by lmcguire »

Yes, any change to a journal entry will change the automatic date on that entry - the date is the most recent save date, not the create date. If you want to remember the date on which the entry was made, you should put it in the text of the entry - I would use the Title of the entry myself, but you could put it anywhere.

(The only other explanation I can think of is if there was some big problem with the database that triggered an update, but that seems less likely.)

Liz
cleanflix

Post by cleanflix »

that might be it. seems like a journal entry should retain the original date. kind of an important part of a journal
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

I think the tool grew more out of the idea of writing notes in the margins of the scriptures than an independent journal. Most people don't date notes they write in the margins, but if they intend it to be an actual journal they would.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
mevans

Post by mevans »

sbradshaw wrote:I think the tool grew more out of the idea of writing notes in the margins of the scriptures than an independent journal. Most people don't date notes they write in the margins, but if they intend it to be an actual journal they would.
Actually, the tool has been through a few name changes. Unfortunately, I think that's most most change that has been made to the tool since its inception. I believe the first name was My Study Notebook, which doesn't bring with it the "journal" title, but probably conveyed more features than we have. Later it became Notes and Journal, which seemed to imply that the tool would be good to use as a journal, too. In fact, this forum title still has Notes and Journal as part of the title. Later, it was simply renamed to Notes, which probably best conveys what you can really do with the tool. Yes, you could use it for other things, but it's not well set up to do that.

We've been told they're looking at enhancements to the Notes tool. We don't know what they'll change or when it will happen. I'm just hoping for a better user interface so I can better use the features the currently exist.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mevans wrote:Later, it was simply renamed to Notes, which probably best conveys what you can really do with the tool.
I wasn't aware of that, but they weren't consistent in the renaming. While the page says "Notes", the title in the tab still says "Notes and Journal", as does the help file.

The name of the forum (or at least the first half of it) is intended to match the name of the tool.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Notes and Journal, and Online Scriptures”