HD Cameras

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
craiggsmith

HD Cameras

Post by craiggsmith »

So any recommendations for HD cameras? Here are a few options I see on B&H's site:

HuddleCamHD 2.1 MP 720p 10x zoom - $700 (even our new projectors can't display more than 800 anyway)
HuddleCamHD 2.1 MP 1080p 10x zoom - $900
HuddleCamHD 3.2 MP 1080p 20x zoom - $1500

I'm not sure 10x is good enough; I'll have to do some measurements to see what we currently use.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: HD Cameras

Post by russellhltn »

craiggsmith wrote:I'm not sure 10x is good enough;
I've never been a fan of that style of measurement. I don't think it tells you what the range is (from how wide to how narrow). I prefer "35mm equivalent" numbers. But then, I do enough photography that I have a feel for those numbers and a camera where I can run some tests with them.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

russellhltn wrote:I've never been a fan of that style of measurement. I don't think it tells you what the range is (from how wide to how narrow). I prefer "35mm equivalent" numbers. But then, I do enough photography that I have a feel for those numbers and a camera where I can run some tests with them.
True, they really are meaningless. One I saw actually had focal length numbers; not 35mm equivalent but I think it had the sensor size so I could calculate it. But as a rule I saw cameras that specifically said wide angle, that typically had 3x zoom or so, and "regular" ones with longer zooms and I was just assuming they were similar to other common 10x video cameras.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

craiggsmith wrote:One I saw actually had focal length numbers; not 35mm equivalent but I think it had the sensor size so I could calculate it.
This site makes it easy. 35.3mm-353mm That seems like a plenty of zoom to me as long as you're not too far back.

Note that the system won't allow you to select "Full HD" to transmit anyway. So out of the three cameras mentioned, the cheapest seems to be the best idea.

However, none of the cameras seem to have a video out - only USB. That's fine if you're going to locate the computer with the camera.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rolandc

Post by rolandc »

Had some great success with the PTZ Optics line from that same co.

They have all the different outputs to match the building system, note AV (CVBS) output will not run concurrently with the HD side. have only use the 20x, that one will show the pores in your skin from the back of a L98 stake center chapel
Roland
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

russellhltn wrote:However, none of the cameras seem to have a video out - only USB. That's fine if you're going to locate the computer with the camera.
Forgot to check for that, thanks. Right now we just use a camera on a tripod with a computer right there, but someday might get it mounted.
Last edited by craiggsmith on Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

rolandc wrote:Had some great success with the PTZ Optics line from that same co.

They have all the different outputs to match the building system, note AV (CVBS) output will not run concurrently with the HD side. have only use the 20x, that one will show the pores in your skin from the back of a L98 stake center chapel
Thanks, good to know. A bit pricier than I'd hoped but that seems the norm for a decent one. Cheaper than Sony's.

Wow, I thought I was using pretty high zoom already but maybe not; I'm interested to check. Thanks.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
robbie@dalley.org

Post by robbie@dalley.org »

I myself have been looking into the new cameras coming from Black Magic Design. Craig there are some some good local resources also, consider reaching out to your local A/V companies (I work for one) instead of going to B&H or Amazon.

Robbie

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”