Creating a link?

Discussions about the Notes and Journal tool on LDS.org. This includes the Study Toolbar as well as the scriptures and other content on LDS.org that is integrated with Notes and Journal.
skerby

Creating a link?

Post by skerby »

When i am using the scriptures from my Android device the icon to create a link is available between two scriptures. When I am reading the scriptures from a desktop device through windows 8/ie that link is not there. How do I link scriptures with a desktop device using windows 8 and ie?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Creating a link?

Post by sbradshaw »

According to the Gospel Library for Windows release notes, Gospel Library doesn't have the ability to annotate scriptures yet – just to view annotations:

"Sign into your LDS Account to view notes, bookmarks, highlights synched from LDS.org or other devices running Gospel Library. (The ability to add these within the app will come in a future version.)"
http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/en-us ... 969358064f
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
lmcguire

Post by lmcguire »

If I'm right and you mean the website, not Gospel Library, then I don't think there's a way to create links on the website. You can see and follow them in the Notes section (https://www.lds.org/study-tools/folders?lang=eng), but I don't see any way to make them.

FWIW,

Liz
PamelaBonta

Post by PamelaBonta »

Linking is not yet available online. However, if you are using a GL app that allows linking, everything is syncing to the LDS Cloud. If and when linking becomes available online, your links should automatically show up there.
EtheringtonKr

Post by EtheringtonKr »

I do not see a way to create a link online like others have mentioned. Some links from the GL app are appearing. Some work like to scriptures while others to Preach My Gospel or other things are not working on the website. In fact, notes with the non-working links appear to have problems with other features like assigning to a specific journals.
PamelaBonta

Post by PamelaBonta »

Linking is not yet available in online Notes. If you create a link in a Gospel Library app that links to a page that is set up for online Notes, the link will appear in online Notes, eg scriptures, text based manuals, conference talks and magazine articles from 2008 to the present. If you create a link in a Gospel Library app that links to a page that is NOT set up for online Notes, the links will likely NOT appear, eg some conference talks and magazine articles from 2007 and before, news articles, web based manuals such as Preach My Gospel and Come Follow Me.
GrasseDD

Post by GrasseDD »

PamelaBonta wrote:Linking is not yet available in online Notes. If you create a link in a Gospel Library app that links to a page that is set up for online Notes, the link will appear in online Notes, eg scriptures, text based manuals, conference talks and magazine articles from 2008 to the present. If you create a link in a Gospel Library app that links to a page that is NOT set up for online Notes, the links will likely NOT appear, eg some conference talks and magazine articles from 2007 and before, news articles, web based manuals such as Preach My Gospel and Come Follow Me.
Links created in GL Android show up in the list of annotations in the Notes page, but not in the online scriptures. In fact, even if I create an annotation in the online scriptures, if I subsequently add a link to that annotation in GLA, it will no longer appear in the online scriptures.
lmcguire

Post by lmcguire »

GrasseDD wrote:Links created in GL Android show up in the list of annotations in the Notes page, but not in the online scriptures. In fact, even if I create an annotation in the online scriptures, if I subsequently add a link to that annotation in GLA, it will no longer appear in the online scriptures.
Do you mean that if you add a link the _annotation_ no longer shows up (no highlighting shows when looking at that chapter in the online scriptures)? Cuz my annotations with links do show up as highlights in the online scriptures (it's just that there's no way to access the link from there).

Liz
GrasseDD

Post by GrasseDD »

lmcguire wrote:Do you mean that if you add a link the _annotation_ no longer shows up (no highlighting shows when looking at that chapter in the online scriptures)? Cuz my annotations with links do show up as highlights in the online scriptures (it's just that there's no way to access the link from there).
Yeah, exactly. I even second-guessed myself after reading your reply and checked again.

Example: in Genesis 31:7, the phrase "your father hath deceived me, and changed my wages ten times;" is highlighted in blue. It has a note, "See Laban's greed in Gen 24:30". I created that annotation with the online scriptures. I then went there in GLA, selected that annotation and simply added a link to Genesis 24:30 and synced. After exiting GLA, stopping the app, and clearing the cache, I go back to GLA and it's there. I open up Notes and Journal, and see it listed correctly, with the highlighting, note, and link. Go back to Genesis 31:7 in the online scriptures, and now it's gone--even though other highlighting in that chapter still appears.

(Sorry, I tried to include screenshots, but can't.)
lmcguire

Post by lmcguire »

Weird. I can't explain that. :-(

Return to “Notes and Journal, and Online Scriptures”