Bulletin Builder: mostly constructed, help needed

When the Church has need of help from the technology community, we will post that need in this forum.
haertchen

Bulletin Builder: mostly constructed, help needed

Post by haertchen »

Hello all,

I know there was a thread already dedicated to this, but since I've done something different, I decided to make a new thread: I've actually made an online bulletin builder with some basic functionality. While it doesn't have all of the features described in the typical wish-list I've seen here, it can easily produce a large number of good-looking bulletins for a typical ward fairly quickly. It could fairly easily be extended to include many of the wish-list items I have seen as well; I just haven't done it yet, but could. My main problem is, now that I have gotten it to where it is, I don't know what to do with it, and was hoping that somebody here could point me to people who could help.

Basically, I have developed and deployed the application on my own machine, getting it to run as a web application running in a Tomcat server. The client-side is deployed as a Javascript application (created using GWT from Java) run in the browser. On the server side is a bunch of servlets which use a MySQL database to store text-based user information (including the contents of the agendas) and a MongoDB to store resource files (such as uploaded images and generated pdf files)

It is designed to be usable with multiple users, but actual validation code (login and signup) has not been implemented because (a) I am no security expert and (b) I do not have a platform on which to actually launch and test the application. The various open-source ones are proving to be very difficult to learn. It is this last part where I need help. Is there anybody or any group here who can help with the deployment or scaling of this application? Now that it exists, is there any interest in testing or usability? Not to mention that there are lots of features I haven't been able to develop because it isn't integrated with LDS tools in any way.

So, is anyone here can help/knows someone who can help with the implementation/integration/scaling? I can send folks the war files used for actual deployment and dump files for the databases. I can also send the source code to anybody interested. I just need to know: what's possible?

Many thanks,

James Hart
ldsian

Re: Bulletin Builder: mostly constructed, help needed

Post by ldsian »

Hi James!

I'm not a Java expert, but I've deployed several web services. I can help you out. Maybe send me a PM with information on where to get the war files and I can see what would need to be done?

Thanks!
plethera21

Post by plethera21 »

I may be able to offer some assistance as well. Could you PM me with some additional info like screenshots, code, etc?
casdvm

Post by casdvm »

Have you made any progress on this project? I am exploring the same idea. I am an OS X/iOS developer, and have no web-based app experience, but I learn quickly. I would like to see what you have, and see what I can do to help, and possibly port it over as well.

Thank you very much,

Craig A. Smith

Return to “Development Help Wanted”