Custom Calling available in LCR?

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Custom Calling available in LCR?

Post by lajackson »

bjcollard wrote:I still can't accomplish what I am trying to do. My clerk tried everything too and couldn't figure out how to get a Single Adult category and calling.
That's because it is still a stake calling. If the stake insists that the bishopric call a Single Adult rep, I would put it in as a custom calling under the bishopric, since they will be responsible for the calling.

Do not put a Single Adult calling under the Young Single Adults. They are two separate groups handled in two different ways with two different committees. You would just confuse matters by doing that.

As Elder Oaks said, the Handbook is the best kept secret in the Church. See Handbook 2, 16.1.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

It's possible to create custom callings, but it's not possible to create custom calling categories.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
bretpetersen1

Post by bretpetersen1 »

jdlessley wrote:
bjcollard wrote:I will have the clerk see if he has access to this plus sign for the Other Callings category.
You should be able to add a custom calling. Make sure you go to Organizations and select "Other Callings" from the list of organizations. There will be another "Other Callings" at the bottom of the "Other Callings" organization. Click that to expand that second "Other Callings" organization. You will see the "Add Another Calling" link at the bottom and to the far right. Click that link.
When I go to "other Callings" organization there is no "Other callings" at the bottom as you describe. Is this a known problem with LCR that is being worked?

I don't see how to add custom callings outside the listed organizations.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

bretpetersen1 wrote:When I go to "other Callings" organization there is no "Other callings" at the bottom as you describe. Is this a known problem with LCR that is being worked?
There is no known problem that I can tell.

In "Other Callings" under the Organizations menu item I see nine categories of Other Callings - Young Single Adult, Church Magazines, Employment and Welfare, Facilities, Family History, History, Music, Technology, & Other Callings.

I have no idea why you would not have that ninth category, "Other Callings".
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
bjcollard

Post by bjcollard »

I appreciate the suggestions by everyone - but the best suggestions were that the Stake should handle entering and calling a Single Adult ward representative, .or add a calling under the Bishopric. The direction from my stake has been for the wards to handle, and we have, but there is not a way to put the calling in a Single Adult category. I don't know if the stake has that category or option to create a calling Category for Single Adult rep in LCR under Other Callings, but the ward does not. To clarify again, I have and see the Other Callings category, and when you click on it you get YSA, Church Magazines, Employment & Welfare, Facilities, Family History, History, Music, Technology. You can select one of those categories, see who currently has a calling in those categories, and add another calling clicking on the little plus sign. But none of these Other Callings has anything to do with a Single Adult ward representative. So I consider it case closed with no way to create a Single Adult category under Other Callings and will defer to my stake to see if they can create the category at the stake level to add each ward's representative, or I will put our single adult rep under the Bishopric category. Hopefully that clarifies the issue for everyone. Thanks again to everyone.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Stakes no not have the ability to add callings to wards. So either the stake is going to have to record the calling at the stake level, or the ward will have to create a custom calling somewhere in the existing categories.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
bjcollard

Post by bjcollard »

I meant to say maybe the stake can create a calling or category at the stake level for Single Adult reps. Maybe the stake has the ability to make a single adult category under Other Callings at stake level, but the ward definitely does not have that ability at the ward level. Handbook 2 16.1 suggests the stake can have a single adult organization, so hopefully the stake can make a single adult category somehow in LCR. It would be an admin conflict if even the stake can't make a single adult category for reps when they can create the organization, right? Well, I can feel good that I did my best to follow my stake's direction.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Taking a look at my stake, the ward SA reps are entered at the ward level. I don't have access to LCR, but when I look under CDOL and the Directory, there is no subcategories under "Other" - I just see the listing of positions.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
bjcollard

Post by bjcollard »

We also have wards in the stake with SA reps at the ward level, but they were all entered using custom calling in MLS, before LCR was introduced to my stake a few months ago. I am not very familiar with MLS, but my clerk is, and he could have created the Single Adult rep calling and title in MLS a year ago - no problem. Now that we have LCR, there is not a way to add a Single Adult callings or category, but I will ask the stake clerk to check it out at the stake level - he is in my ward and I see him often. I just think that the LCR programmers would have not forgotten about Single Adults, and the category must exist or can be created at the stake level as a stake calling and my stake might be wrong in asking the wards to call the ward SA reps. The programmers couldn't have overlooked an entire church organization...
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Why does an entire category have to be created when there will be just one or two people in it?

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”