Photos in 3 places in Directory

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
kellymab

Re: Photos in 3 places in Directory

Post by kellymab »

sbradshaw wrote:
mevans wrote:Regarding single members: I make it a habit of uploading a photo to both the household and individual spots. ... and I find it's not a great deal more effort to do this.
Except when you're in a Young Single Adult ward, where this applies to every member, and the members change every semester. :)
I do like uploading the photo to both places – it feels more complete.
But the best thing is when someone new moves in and they already have a photo (or two). We ask if they want s new one or keep the old. Why take everyone's photo again if it's already in the system. We save the photo right from LDS.org.

I agree on double uploading for single members. If you only have an individual pic, the main picture on LDS Tools is blank.
mevans

Post by mevans »

sbradshaw wrote:
mevans wrote:Regarding single members: I make it a habit of uploading a photo to both the household and individual spots. ... and I find it's not a great deal more effort to do this.
Except when you're in a Young Single Adult ward, where this applies to every member, and the members change every semester. :)
I do like uploading the photo to both places – it feels more complete.
Do you get many records that already have photos with them? That might help reduce how many photos you have to upload? Or are the other singles wards not as nice about uploading photos as you are? One problem I've seen is if you move out a YSA from a family unit that even if the YSA has an individual photo, he or she now has no household photo. I've looked the online directory of the singles ward in our stake and seen that some YSA from our ward don't have the household photo, even though they have the individual photo. Maybe I'll have to separate the family unit in our ward first, upload a family photo, and then send them to the YSA ward. But that only works if we're pushing records versus the YSA ward requesting records. I actually got a several updated photos of YM and YW in our ward before the school year was out last May/June and updated their photos, as some of them had pictures from when they were much younger.
WWS36

Post by WWS36 »

I was granted permission to train the Ward Clerks & Ward Ex Secs & Ward Webmasters at this past Stake Conference. Things are moving a little, but it is hard to get a handle as to how many photos a Ward has and therefore give Project Completion status. I ask the Ward Clerks to count the number of photos under 'Mange Photos' from eah Ward as a best guess indicator. Also why can't a Female be called as a Ward Webmaster? Every Ward Relief Society should have one! :D
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

WWS36 wrote:Also why can't a Female be called as a Ward Webmaster?
Who says they can't? The big problem I have is the calling grants admin access to a number of tools, like directory and calendar.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
WWS36

What is the Job Description of Ward Website Administrator

Post by WWS36 »

I'm not sure where to ask this question: What is the Job Description of Ward Website Administrator?
A ward in my Stake wants to call a Ward Web Admin and wants to know the criteria/scope of this calling.
Also if a Sister qualifies for this calling??? Thanks
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: What is the Job Description of Ward Website Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

WWS36 wrote:I'm not sure where to ask this question: What is the Job Description of Ward Website Administrator?
A ward in my Stake wants to call a Ward Web Admin and wants to know the criteria/scope of this calling.
Not specified. As stated, it's not in the Handbook. Given the broad rights that calling has, I'd say a primary criteria is to stay out of things they do not have permission to change.

However, the responsibilities have to match what a ward website admin can do. The documentation is not completely accurate. IIRC, the documentation shows they can change contact information in the directory, but I think that's been taken away. A clerk can change it, but to be a clerk one has to hold the Melchizedek Priesthood.

WWS36 wrote:Also if a Sister qualifies for this calling???
The system allows a sister to be placed in that calling. (Or, at least it has in the past.)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Ward Website Administrator

Post by lajackson »

Keep in mind that the Ward Website Administrator calling began with the old Local Unit Web Sites that no longer function. The ward administrator had complete control over the ward site. A stake administrator could manage any site in the stake, and was the one who gave the ward administrator(s) access to their ward site.

A stake or ward usually had two administrators so that they could still function if one of them moved. A stake administrator was automatically an administrator at all of the units in the stake but, oddly enough, a ward could remove a stake administrator, which they sometimes did.

I think today it gives you default Calendar administrative access for your unit in the distributive Calendar system.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Ward Website Administrator

Post by aebrown »

lajackson wrote:I think today it gives you default Calendar administrative access for your unit in the distributive Calendar system.
And since this discussion is about the Directory, I would note that the calling of Website Administrator also gives you administrative access to the Directory, which allows you to manage photos as well as some other functions. It also makes you an administrator for Lesson Schedules and Newsletter.
WWS36

Post by WWS36 »

I am a Stake Assistant Clerk. One of my Ward Clerks wrote back to me the following: " I'm not sure on putting photos in, being anyone but the individual families responsibility. That is my take on the whole issue. " However His/my Stake President wants the whole Stake in there. What is the Chapter & Verse on this responsibility?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Normally, a member or family submits a photo and then it is approved by a clerk. A clerk can also submit a photo for a member or family, if the member or family approves.

The member determines whether or not there will be a photo, notwithstanding the desires of a stake president. If the member or family does not submit a photo, and if the clerk is not allowed to take the photo, he cannot submit/approve it. It is not within his capability to do anything further as the clerk. Of course the request and suggestion of leaders will be relayed to the members, and then the members will determine what to do with that request.

The term we use in the Church to describe this situation is "agency". We fought a war over it, and won.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”