Photos in 3 places in Directory

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Photos in 3 places in Directory

Post by aebrown »

lajackson wrote:Normally, a member or family submits a photo and then it is approved by a clerk. A clerk can also submit a photo for a member or family, if the member or family approves.
The term we use in the Church to describe this situation is "agency". We fought a war over it, and won.
I certainly agree with the principle of agency, and it is definitely applicable here. However, in my experience, what you describe as the "normal" experience is anything but the norm.

I would guess that less than 10% of the members of my stake have ever uploaded a photo. But I would also guess that the vast majority of the members are totally okay with having a photo on the directory. They don't upload a photo because they lack the technical ability, or they lack the motivation to do so. In both those cases, under the direction of the bishop, a ward clerk or executive secretary or website administrator can ask members: "Would you approve the posting of a family and/or individual photo to the directory? If so, please stand here and let me snap your photo." If they say no, we can tell them that they have the option of having the photo visible to only priesthood leaders, and so the photo would not be visible to the ward or stake at large, but would still help the leaders. If they still say no, we politely thank them and move on.

Of the photos in our stake, a large majority were taken this way. The principle of agency is preserved, we have a much higher participation rate than if we just waited for members to upload their own photos, and as a bonus, the photos are more consistent in size, lighting, cropping, etc.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Perhaps instead of "normally" I should have said "ideally". I am fully supportive of photos in the directory, and I agree that the members usually are not motivated to do it themselves. Our clerks have taken the approach you suggest, of proactively offering to take and upload the photographs, and the members have generally been cooperative.

There are only a few instances, in my opinion, where it would not be appropriate to have a photo available at the Directory.

Curious, can just the photo be limited to leader observation, or does the member have to limit everything in the Directory to do that? We have several members who are willing to have their Directory listing generally available but not their photo. We have not uploaded a photo because we have not found a way to remove a photo, only to replace it with something else.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

lajackson wrote:Curious, can just the photo be limited to leader observation, or does the member have to limit everything in the Directory to do that?
Yes, there is a privacy setting specifically for the photo alone.
lajackson wrote:We have several members who are willing to have their Directory listing generally available but not their photo. We have not uploaded a photo because we have not found a way to remove a photo, only to replace it with something else.
Didn't the remove link under the photo remove it?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

WWS36 wrote:I'm not sure on putting photos in, being anyone but the individual families responsibility.
Looking at the Photo Upload Guidelines, it was written with the idea of someone other than the family might be doing the upload.

I'm sure if we were to break down the responsibilities of a clerk, it would likely include the phrase "responsibilities as assigned". ;) Why would clerks have this permission if it wasn't within scope of being assigned?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

eblood66 wrote:Yes, there is a privacy setting specifically for the photo alone.
Didn't the remove link under the photo remove it?
Great on the privacy setting.
There wasn't a link last I tried, which may have more to do with operator error or browser selection than whether or not the link should have been there.

I have not done a lot with the photo side of the Directory, so I really didn't know. We have a few members who will allow photos for leaders since that setting is available. That will leave a very few who cannot allow photos due to legal and other restrictions.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

I think most members who use LDS Tools for their calling appreciate being able to see other people's photos. As more photos are added with permission, I think more members will see the benefit and be willing to have their own added.

As for a clerk that doesn't feel comfortable uploading photos, I'm not sure there's anything you can or should do about that other than wait and do your best. First, there are very few policies about using the LDS.org tools that you could refer to. Second, you don't want him to feel pressured to do something he doesn't want to do (who knows, maybe he's had a bad experience with data privacy in the past). Next time your stake president notices that that particular ward doesn't have many photos, let him know why and leave it to him to counsel with the bishop and clerk if he feels it's important that they work to get photos added.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
WWS36

Post by WWS36 »

You all have spot on advice. Thank you and God bless you and pray for me! :P
WWS36

Post by WWS36 »

This has probably been discussed, but what about a photo on the Temple Recommend. That would give the active members and incentive to get their photos in LDS.ORG/Directory??? They could still have the private visibility option, but it might increase the photos substantially! :geek:
WWS36

Post by WWS36 »

Here is what we are trying this month:
Please place in ward bulletins:
"The ward and stake leaders love you and benefit from putting names and faces together. Please assist us by putting your picture on the church electronic records system. The ward mission leader or Clerks or Ward Website Admin/Techie will be happy to help.
To do this, you log into LDS.ORG/Directory. You then see My Household on the left hand side.
Would you please place one photo for you and one for your spouse in the single section, and one with both of you, in the COUPLE top section.”
Thanks, Stake Presidency
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

WWS36 wrote:but what about a photo on the Temple Recommend.
Maybe if they switch to printed TRs instead of from the Book like they do now. However, the ward printers will have to be up to printing the photo reasonably well. That could get tricky.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”