Help with re-image

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
ccordoba24

Re: Help with re-image

Post by ccordoba24 »

Oh, no, sorry, the image is Professional and the FHC is Enterprise. My mistake there.

Its that from my MSDN account I actually have to choose the iso´s language before downloading, for all those other things like seeing ´eliminiar´ instead of ´delete´on a menu or the ´Inicio´ button instead of ´Start´. So what I was asking here was does anyone know where we , STS, get access to an image which is made for spanish speaking nations? becuase the one on the STS site is an English language version (in other words the ´es´ version instead of the ´en´ version of the iso file?)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

For other countries, I'd suggest contacting your area office. CHQ is also the area office for North America.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
ccordoba24

Post by ccordoba24 »

Update: well GSC answered and they don't have any images in es. Nor do the local facilities group so I'm going to have to resort to some novel engineering to get a es version of win7 for clerks using slmgr options and my own msdn es iso's.

But thanks to all for you'r help though. It's always good to know that you guys are available for the odd weird question or two :lol:
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Can't you just change the display language in Windows settings?
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... y-language
(Spanish: http://windows.microsoft.com/es-ar/wind ... y-language)
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
ccordoba24

Post by ccordoba24 »

sbradshaw wrote:Can't you just change the display language in Windows settings?
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... y-language
(Spanish: http://windows.microsoft.com/es-ar/wind ... y-language)

Yes, I've done that but it only changes a few minor things like the clock or the way currency is displayed or what language a browser and online help uses , but not most of what is part of the system files. The "Start" button, menu items like "File" and "Edit" in each window or when you right click a file you still see a list in English and not everyone understands it. That is why Microsoft provides OS in other languages specifically to change those items, that is to change File for "Archivo" or Edit for "Editar" or delete or "Eliminar" and so on.

I'm surprised that people aren't aware of this. Maybe that is why the GSC never downloaded images in other languages. And the local physical facilities people order PC 's with an installed activated OS and no disk, so they can't help out if reimaging is needed. However the Family History people do have spanish language ISO's available but they don't share them with clerk computers because they have to pay for each install separately. And its an enterprise version while clerk PC are all Pro.
overclock

Post by overclock »

Someone has been using a USB flash drive that corrupts the USB drivers and then I have to reimage the computer. This has now happened three times. (There's some free utilities that will show you what USB devices, printers, input, flash drives, plugged into the machine.) The last time I taped a note over the USB ports saying not to use them. Nevertheless someone peeled back the note and used the port. Ugh.

I'm tempted to lower the localclerk account down to standard user and make an admin account. Then I will disable USB storage devices.

Previously I opened the computer, connected a hard drive, and copied the data off the old hard drive. I then reimaged the machine and copied everything back.

I'm thinking about creating another partition and putting all the data on it. My question is, does the reimage ISO format the entire hard drive ignoring all partitions and such? Will my new data partition be wiped out during the reimage?

Thanks!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

overclock wrote:The last time I taped a note over the USB ports saying not to use them.
You do realize that clerks have been directed to keep a copy of MLS data external to the computer. Church policy is that no confidential information can be left on the hard drive, but on a external device that's kept in a locked drawer. So telling them not to plug in a external USB drive isn't going to work. You're going to have to find another solution.

As for knocking them back to a standard user, keep in mind that MLS has frequent patch updates that need to be installed. If the user is not an Administrator, I can't predict what the results will be.

I'd suggest troubleshooting the system and fixing the bad USB drivers "in place". That way, the fix is more likely to be permanent. I ran into a problem like that a few months ago. I don't remember the exact details, but I had to go though a number of steps to take control of the usb drivers, delete them and re-install replacements. In that case, I think an aborted bootup corrupted them. To prevent problems, you might want to change the computer's power settings such that it will hibernate after an hour and not sleep. Also change the screen saver settings such that the screen never blanks out until it hibernates. (You can start a screen saver sooner than that, but it needs to display something.) I do this because people have a tendency to turn off the power strip if the monitor is showing a blank screen.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Clerk Computers”