Allow stakes to add lesson schedule events

Discussions about the Lesson Schedules Tool
dirid51

Allow stakes to add lesson schedule events

Post by dirid51 »

Can a stake add events to lesson schedules that show up for all of the wards in that stake? If not, I think that it would be great. That would reduce the need for each ward to add stake conference, etc. The stakes could add and manage stake-level events. The same goes for general-level events, like General Conference. At least in the continental U.S., everyone watches conference on the same days at the same time. This would also help the lesson schedules be more accurate which increases user confidence in the schedule and in turn encourages use by the members.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Allow stakes to add lesson schedule events

Post by russellhltn »

There is no stake-level access in this version of Lesson Schedules. I believe there are plans to add that in future versions, but we have no idea when the new versions will come out. There are a limited number of developers and many projects.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mevans

Post by mevans »

If I remember correctly, Lesson Schedules automatically puts in General Conference, which can be removed if you want.

It's not a lot of trouble to add two stake conferences and a ward conference to fill out the events.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Now that Leader and Clerk Resources has a Stake Conferences report section, it knows when the next stake conferences are, so if the systems were integrated that would be convenient to automatically add stake conference. And, the area could put in things like temple dedications, regional conferences, or general conference (for areas where it can't be watched live so it's watched a different week).
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

dirid51 wrote:This would also help the lesson schedules be more accurate which increases user confidence in the schedule and in turn encourages use by the members.
I agree that lack of confidence is one of the major reasons people don't use the online tools, which creates a chicken-and-egg – many leaders say, why update it if nobody uses it? We prepare a stake schedule that we distribute to ward leaders, and then encourage those ward leaders to enter the stake schedule into the LDS.org Lesson Schedule so all ward members can benefit. But sometimes they say, we have a paper schedule, provided by the stake, to keep us on track – why do we need to update it online? – ignoring the fact that there are many members who are not leaders who do not have access to the paper schedule and still want to know when the lessons are. It's the same situation for wards who keep external directories or calendars – you're always leaving someone behind if you're not using the LDS Account -enabled tools.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

sbradshaw wrote:... ignoring the fact that there are many members who are not leaders who do not have access to the paper schedule and still want to know when the lessons are.
In our ward council meeting a week ago, I asked if we knew which General Conference address the stake presidency had chosen for this month's TFOT lesson. The bishop, HPGL, and RS president smiled and nodded, and the RS president forwarded the email to the EQ president. However, none of them seemed to understand that all members of the ward needed to know that information, so they could read/review the talk before the lesson was given.
Or am I the only one weird enough to actually read the lessons before I go to church?
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

drepouille wrote:The bishop, HPGL, and RS president smiled and nodded, and the RS president forwarded the email to the EQ president. However, none of them seemed to understand that all members of the ward needed to know that information, so they could read/review the talk before the lesson was given.
Sorry they missed you on the original distribution. If you check back with them, I would suspect that the RS president sent the information to all of the sisters using her personal email list, and that the HPGL did not.
drepouille wrote:Or am I the only one weird enough to actually read the lessons before I go to church?
There would be at least two of us weird ones, but I think many others read the lessons beforehand if they know what will be taught.

I am one who gets the six-month list each time. When I do, I go to Gospel Library, call up each talk, and set a bookmark that begins, for example, TFOT Jun 26, followed by the talk to be discussed. If you load the last one first, they will all be in order in one section your bookmarks until you start studying the next one and it pops to the top of the bookmark list.

I also have a set of bookmarks that go (for this year) HWH 12, HWH 13, . . . HWH24, along with the title of the chapter.

Return to “Lesson Schedules”