Stabliity or quality of stream?

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
sammythesm

Re: Stabliity or quality of stream?

Post by sammythesm »

Mikerowaved wrote:
sammythesm wrote:Unless you have super high quality HD cameras at the source location and HD capable projectors at the recieving locations you are wasting your energy. Seems like the Achilles heel of the solution will remain so-so SD cameras at the stake center and cruddy SD computer projectors at the chapels.
I have to disagree. I started webcasting in HD (720p) years ago with nothing more than a home video camera on a tripod, with a vanilla notebook PC at the receive end tied to a projector with a VGA cable. Audio was fed to the sound system using a crab box. Since then, our projector has been updated and now (besides being a little brighter) includes HDMI inputs, but it's basically the same process.
Hope that wasn't misunderstood. What I mean is that the optics of the camera, the lighting, the resolution at the source (etc) determines so much of the quality downstream. If you're capturing video at 360p with bad lighting or uncalibrated camera settings, it doesn't matter if your infrastructure is running 1080p or 720p - you can't upscale poor quality at the source. So when I say 'waste' - and maybe that's too strong a word - what I mean is that if you're infrastructure is running 1080p at 30fps but your capture is 360p at 15fps and your projector/display is XGA/800x600 or 1024x768, you are wasting a lot of processing power in the middle there just to upscale something that will be unappreciated and unobservable at the far end due to limitations.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”