HC Speaking Assignment Matrix

So you have the BIG idea that the Church or community needs to develop. Discuss that idea here. Maybe you just want to make a suggestion on a new forum topic. Let us know.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

Ok, I have finished a simple, functional little app in C#. However, any info about it I am moving over to [thread=244]this thread[/thread].
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

gblack wrote:Now if we're in a situation here where a speaker can visit more than one ward on a given Sunday, but can only visit certain pairs (like he has enough time to speak at Ward 1 and Ward 2, but not enough time to speak at both Ward1 and Ward3 on the same Sunday) then you may have just stepped beyond the realm of what can easily be accomplished with a spreadsheet.
Why would that be a problem? Wouldn't you just pair Ward1 & Ward2 into a single entry? The only way I can see what you describe as being a problem is if different speakers have different capabilities - some travel by car and some by bus, so what would work for one, wouldn't work for another. But at that point I think we're struggling for excuses. :D
johnpoulson

The Matrix follows a pattern only so far...

Post by johnpoulson »

4 speakers, 4 wards:

1. Ward1=speaker1 ward2=speaker2 ward3=speaker3 ward4=speaker4
2. Ward1=speaker2 ward2=speaker3 ward3=speaker4 ward4=speaker1
3. Ward1=speaker3 ward2=speaker4 ward3=speaker1 ward4=speaker2
4. ward=1speaker4 ward2=speaker1 ward3=speaker2 ward4=speaker3

etc.

Assuming this is suitable, then it's probably pretty easy for you to come up with the matrix yourself and from there you just keep cycling through it. I'm guessing your real issue here is developing the reports.
***************************************************************************************************************************

The matrix does in fact lend itself to a pattern... And I have forced a pattern in years past by playing with the parameters... 8 wards, so assign 16 speakers and speak only 8 months... 9 wards, 18 speakers, 9 ,months... etc.

The fly in the ointment is when you have 13 wards, 10 months and 22 speakers.... ;-)
At least this is the case for my ointment (brain) it can't get around this many variables, that's why the plea for help.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

CaptainSalisbury,

My first attempt at the program will be posted very shortly. However, hop over to the other thread I made in the Other Projects forum. Stay tuned.
johnpoulson

Thanks...

Post by johnpoulson »

Thank you very much.

Of course you realize that now half the High Counselors and stake clerks in the Church will have an additional 600 hours per year available to do meaningful service as opposed to wrestling with the speaking matrix every year...
blackrg

Post by blackrg »

As long as no one minds the same speaker always hitting the same two wards, that would work nicely.
blackrg

Post by blackrg »

CaptainStansbury wrote:
The fly in the ointment is when you have 13 wards, 10 months and 22 speakers.... ;-)
At least this is the case for my ointment (brain) it can't get around this many variables, that's why the plea for help.

You have to simplify (or divide and conquer) to keep from disturbing the ointment :p

Drop out the months. Pretend you assign every speaker to speak every time. Then assign blank wards so that the number of wards equals the number of speakers. Then go back to rotating. Just remember that if it's a blank ward they're assigned to, they're not really speaking :)

It looks like mkmurray already has a solution for you. If for some reason you need an OpenOffice solution as well, just shoot me a message and you're preferred IM contact info (so I can pester you with questions about the details) and I'll see what I can do.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

gblack wrote:Drop out the months. Pretend you assign every speaker to speak every time. Then assign blank wards so that the number of wards equals the number of speakers. Then go back to rotating. Just remember that if it's a blank ward they're assigned to, they're not really speaking :).
I actually figured all of this out just hours before you posted this. :rolleyes: I had some of it thought out from the beginning, but the wards = speakers part was just an hour or two before your post.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

Just wanted to annouce that I have completed Version 1.1.0.0 Beta of the program.

It includes all of the features I originally planned and a bug fix I found.

Please download it, try it, give suggestions, report bugs, join the project! (Especially you, CaptianSalisbury)

http://www.codeplex.com/HCC

I am no longer giving updates in this thread, please hop over to [thread=244]this thread[/thread] for further updates.

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”